My Bus Boy | Teen Ink

My Bus Boy

By Tatiana Chavez BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Tatiana Chavez BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

You know that feeling when you see that special someone for the first time and everything seems to go in slow motion as you gaze into each other’s eyes. You feel as if the angels from up above are singing and the sun shines a little brighter. I have felt this way only once in my life-when I met Devin. In hopeless romantic love stories, people find the love of their life during the homecoming when he asks the girl to dance or during a football game and he’s the quarter back. However, some people meet the person that they'll be with during the most awkward or unsuspecting times. That is how I met Devin.

A hot commercial sized bus is what I boarded when I saw him for the first time. I was the last one to get on the sweaty and overcrowded bus because my teacher accidentally "misplaced" my permission slip to go on our 8th grade graduating field trip. After an embarrassing phone call to my mother, they finally let me board the bus. I entered the bus in complete rage and embarrassment trying to squeeze myself forward in the narrow row when something caught my attention, and I looked up. There he was dead center in the back of the bus, my everything. Immediately after I saw him shivers went up and down my spine and I instantly got this overjoyed feeling. My eyes made their way up to his whose eyes were already staring at mine. Time seemed to slow down; the staring only lasted five seconds, but in that instant I saw everything we could and were going to be.

Three years have passed since that day and we're still together. Every time I see him it's like I'm seeing him for the first time. The same blissful yet nervous sensation overpowers me every time I see him. I would have never thought that a quiet, long haired, checkered pants wearing boy that I met on a sweaty bus would ever mean so much to me. Devin and I are living proof that there is such a thing as love at first sight. Even though we both have matured, I still do and always will think of him as my bus boy.

The love my three year long boyfriend and I have for eachother inspired me to write this essay for my This I Believe essay we had to write in school.