An Open Letter to an Unrequited Like | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to an Unrequited Like

By Madeleine Kissling BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Madeleine Kissling BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

I'm afraid I'll never go to sleep again.
Well not in the near future.
And when I do, I know I'll drift of thinking of you.
And that scares me too.
I don't want to be so dependent. I don't want to be glued to my phone, willing you to remember my existence. To shoot me a misspelled, butchered text. I don't want to dream up wonderful plans that will never pan out. You have an awful track record, my friend. You'll never be dependable. Always just a possibly, never ever a definitely.
Is this what my life will be like? Strung along like a dumb love sick little girl? I don't want it to be, but things don't ever really turn out the way I want it to be. You sure didn't. I'm always left raw and kicked in the gut. Maybe I bring it upon myself. No, I definitely bring it upon myself. I can swear up and down to friends, to myself, that I'd never let this happen again. Next time I'd be strong. Next time I won't get dicked around or hurt. Best laid plans, right?
My friends don't like you. Clearly neither should I. Why did I ever like you? Am I not as logical as I believe I am? Why in the world would you, an adult with a life and a job and a rented house, like me? A newly high school graduate with faint traces of acne and a perpetual case of word vomit? So how did I let myself get here? A little too much hope. Too little common sense. The usual.
I can't wait for school to start, so I can be distracted. Maybe this year I'll throw myself into work, fall in love with college. All to take my mind off of you. A boy I've never been able to figure out.
Well goodbye.
I guess.
I hope.
But, let's be honest. Not really.