Until I Die | Teen Ink

Until I Die

By Anthony Miyasaki BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
Anthony Miyasaki BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington

Dwell deep within my mind and what I remember of my best friend (anonymous), and the grave incident. Chapter 1: Reminisce Before the incident, our lives intertwined at the age of 5, and, starting out, it was difficult for us to communicate. As only a small, shy boy, I simply did not possess the ability to socialize. She talked most of the time. Her conversations were like constant waves on a foggy beach; no matter how many times they crash against the surface, they will only be heard, but not seen. This continued for 2 whole months. But then, a massive discovery led to the opening of my heart and awakening of my spirit. She talked of her dream to have one friend—just one—that would go to the movies with her, go ice skating with her, go to the park with her, and go almost everywhere with her until She died. A fire had started within me. This flame ran small, but it burned brightly nonetheless. This fire fueled my personality; it made me extend my trust out to Her, and that was when the fog cleared out. I could see Her now. I could look Her in the eye and say, “Hi, I am your best friend, and you will never have to go anywhere alone ever again.” This was the bond that drew us closer than family. I held her dear to me; she was my treasure.
Her eyes were golden brown and they drew a lot of attention to themselves. They matched her hair color flawlessly, which were like curls of thin, silky lines, and these both complimented Her tan skin as well. Her mouth was very big, and when She was talking, it was able to widen quite largely. It was as if She was meant to converse. It was very quirky of Her to skip while she walked. It signified that she was a very upbeat person, which complimented her talking skills. She wore dresses a lot, which was something I didn’t expect from someone as active as Her. She did martial arts, soccer, and archery, which makes it seem like She would wear something more boyish. Her shoes were probably the most unusual thing about Her. She had purple boots. They were so eye-catching, it was easy to see Her in a crowd, even when we both were pretty short. Her appearance matched her personality quite well. She was a very impulsive individual who couldn’t take “no” for an answer. She was very smart for her young age, and She understood many things that I did not when I was 5 years old. She teased me a lot, but I knew that she didn’t mean any of the mean things she said. Her kindness shows through more than her impulsiveness. She was the kind of person who would show up at an animal shelter to help take care of the dogs and cats or go to a community event to volunteer for the small jobs that are just as important as the big jobs. She was someone who was truly unique, and She was my best friend. Chapter Notes: There was supposed to be an intro before this: I had no idea this was the last day I would be seeing Her, or hearing Her, or even touching Her. The life that I used to know had dug its grave: No more smiles, no more laughs, and certainly no more friendship…just a world of tears. The sweet taste of childhood became no more than a figment of my distant memory. It seemed impossible for me to escape the terrorizing, haunting happening that completely shattered my innocence, forcibly broken by the hammer of cruel coincidence, covered in the red lust of evil and desire. My mind was tormented by the haunting images of Her, being twisted by sheer fear and grasped by the chains that entrapped me to a seemingly-endless stream of depression. My spirit fell into a deep sleep that only She could awaken. She kept this power with Her, and it seems to be lost forever. Chapter 2: Regret The memories did not continue too long however. All of this quirkiness was about to just disappear, right before my eyes. The life I once knew was about to be swiped away from me…
Being 7 years old did not soften the blow. She and I were being driven home by my mother after a day at martial arts. “So tell me, why’d ya kick me so hard?” She said. I replied almost instantly, “Well, ya kinda deserved it for punching me so hard!” She pouted and continued,” Well, I didn’t mean to hurt you. You’re such a little baby!” I was taken back by Her remark. My eyes began to fill with tears. “No, I’m not,” I yelled, “It didn’t even hurt!” She began to laugh suddenly. Not knowing how else to respond, began laughing myself. “Dude, you’re a baby!” She said again. I ignored it and looked out my window. The clouds were beginning to gather. The wind started to become noticeable when the trees swayed forcefully. It was only a matter of time before the clouds cried their tears. My eyes darted back to Her when my mom proclaimed, “Make sure you have your seatbelt on, you two” It was quite obvious that She wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, so I pointed at Her, and She quickly scrambled for Her seatbelt. At that moment, I had blinked my eyes, and suddenly, She was airborne, and so was the car. I shut my eyes tightly in fear and curled into a little ball. Many sounds engulfed my ears: the breaking of glass, smashing of metal, and screaming coming from Her. I tightened my body even more and suddenly, the screaming abruptly ended when the final crash had come. There was no feeling of fear greater than the one I had at this exact moment. I sat on the floor of the car, tears rolling off my cheeks, waiting. I could hear nothing but the echoes of the screams in my head. Finally, my mom had picked me up, and I opened my eyes. My mom was also in tears. I scanned my surroundings. My hearing returned and I could hear sobs from all around. From where I was, I could see smashed cars, some of them completely totaled, with dents and wrinkled metal all scattered everywhere. Something caught my attention specifically: the glass. It was stained with a deep red color. Despite the chaos that just happened I found the color to be slightly soothing. For one whole month, no one had told me that it was actually blood.
Living life without Her was hard. Tears constantly fell from my face, salty plagues upon my soul. Although I was only 7, I was smart enough to know that I could not ever see Her again. She was gone…I kept to myself; I made it seem like I was strong and I could carry on, but on the inside, I was completely in pieces. During the day at school, I would not talk to a single person, even when I was prompted with a question from the teacher. I just ran out of the room when the occasion called for it. Whenever I was alone, I would cry waterfalls. An abundant amount of kids heard me in the bathroom all the time, yet no one knew what to do; not even the teachers knew. I went off on my own during recess. Many kids were intimidated by my presence if I ever walked past them in the hallway. When kids tried to communicate with me, I would look them in the eye and they would be able to see the red stained glass. When the end of the school day was nigh, instead of taking the bus, my mom drives me home. The car rides are as awkward as a goldfish out of water. At night, my parents could hear me weeping, but every time they entered the room, I grew scarily silent. They knew what I was going through, but they let me take it on my own. Chapter 3: The Letter The Letter
Whatever spirit I had was locked tightly in a storybook, with Her name written on the cover of it.It seemed like life was going to be like this forever, until I found the key. It was the key that had reopened the story to my life and turns the pages today. It was a small letter, not even a paragraph long.
The short letter had spoken to me:
Dear Xxxxxxx,
It’s just me again. I’m writing this because I want to thank ya for being there for me. You made me a happy camper! I really like you! Do you promise to be my best friend forever, until I die? Good? Good!
Catch ya later!
Xxxxxxxx Chapter Notes: A short chapter, but it is important. It may seem like an abrupt ending, but it is to make the reader think.

I just wanted people to finally know. I hope people understand that many unfortunate events will happen in one's life, but you just have to always look forward.