Wall Of Memories

As I walk through the halls of where we used to play together, I see the old markings on the walls. They remind me of how I would draw our family with a crayon on our wall of memories. I took a different color each time, and everyday add something, like a family member we just found out about, or a new picture I drew. The wall soon filled up over time, as I dipped your paw in paint and my hand as well, and pressed them together, at the same time, right next to each other, on our wall of memories. Mine was purple, yours was green.

I don’t recall what made me think you liked the color green. After all, weren’t cats colorblind? I wasn’t sure, but I guess green was sort of your color. You had a green collar, a green toy, green this, green that. And it was all by accident. Although, I’m sure there are no accidents when it comes to that. But ever since that hand-printing day, I can’t remember a time when those two colors never looked so perfect together. And the wall kept filling up, and filling up, with more memories to look back on, and more promises to keep.

Promises? I don’t remember making any promises. But the promises we made were in each other’s eyes, and in each other’s hearts. I looked at you, and you looked at me with those green, peaceful eyes, and it seemed as though we promised to be together forever. The promises we made in our hearts were for us only, to stay best friends. But after you left, those promises seemed to do nothing but fade.

I remember the day you left very clearly. And boy, it was not pretty. I remember collapsing in tears, screaming that they couldn’t take you away from me. Sobbing my heart out, only to face the reality that there was nothing I could do. Time passed and I didn’t get any better. I hid my pain behind a fake smile and shining eyes. Shining from tears. I wanted to die. I couldn’t imagine life without you, and I wished for you to come back to me. I missed you terribly, and I couldn’t get you off my mind. I wanted the best for you, but I wanted you with me. I saw you everywhere after that day. Everywhere I went, there was a memory we shared on that couch, in that room, next to that wall, everywhere, and anywhere. You were everywhere, and all I kept thinking of was what I had and lost. I kept walking by our wall of memories, only to softly touch the markings, and break down in tears again. Every time. I wanted you to come back. My sweetie. My first pet. My best friend.

I could spend hours and hours gazing at our wall of memories, like they were the stars in the night sky. I could get lost in the thousands of memories we left there, until I finally rested my gaze on the two small hand and paw prints, purple and green, and right next to each other. No matter what the future held, that was one thing that could never be changed. Our promises on our wall of memories.

I love you Cricket <3

DramaLlama96 said...
today at 11:10 pm:
Goosebumps.

BlottedInkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very powerful! :)

AhtmahKhalsaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is Very Good! :)

jmac1780 replied...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm :
thanks! (:

ZacharyCrank said...
First off, this is touching. I've been really close to my cat, Ferret, and I just completely broke down when he died. I had never been able to imagine life without him, but I guess now is that life. This is a beautifully written peace though!

jmac1780 replied...
Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm :
thank you! i know its very hard to lose a pet :( especially if they were your best friend <3 thanks for understanding xx

BlueSunset said...
Sept. 29, 2012 at 8:32 am:
This is such a cute memoir. I have never felt so much for an article like this, and it isn't even deep! I guess it's because I have experienced the same thing. Anyways, it's very well written and Cricket would be proud ;) Well done xx

jmac1780 replied...
Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:09 am :
thank you so much :) xoxo

Aaroshi said...
Wow this is just full of emotions...each word is like a gem. I loved it :)

jmac1780 replied...
Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm :
aw thanks!

eaglesnester said...
wow!i just love your work !keep writing..

jmac1780 replied...
Sept. 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm :
aww thanks! (:

TreesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I understand what it feels like to lose a pet.  I cryed for days.  Your story is great, and is well written.  

jmac1780 replied...
Sept. 22, 2012 at 8:52 am :
Thank you, it is hard :( I miss him so much <3 thanks for the comment xx

Allicat001 said...
Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:58 am:
This brough back memories of my first pet, my dog Hunter, and I can definitely relate to this piece.  I loved the emotion you put into this piece and it was really well written as well.  Great job and keep writing! :)

jmac1780 replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm :
thank you :) xox

S-A-MThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:50 am:
it definitely was worth reading

jmac1780 replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm :
thanks so much :) it means a lot, xoxo

albinotiger said...
omg i have a cat that i have had ever since i was 4 and she is my childhood! i cant imagine my life with out her and your story is lil hopeful and a little depressing but still really good !! :) maybe check out my work sometime :D 

jmac1780 replied...
Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm :
thank you, yes it was very hard losing him :'( you're lucky! never take your pet for granted, you're very lucky you have them :) I can't wait to check out your work! (: xoxo