Second Star to the Right | Teen Ink

Second Star to the Right

July 18, 2012
By JimbobMcNugget BRONZE, Lake Charles, Louisiana
JimbobMcNugget BRONZE, Lake Charles, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not why ships are built.


I don't know where my life is going. I don't want to have to deal with decisions or taxes or death or relationships. I just want to have fun. I want a life full of new experiences, but not the bad ones. Illness, heart break, disasters-I don't want any of that. I only want to think of wonderful things. I want to fly with the lost boys, swim with the mermaids, and go to pow wows with Tiger Lily. I remember when my biggest conflicts in my life were stingy classmates who wouldn't share the ball. As I get older and prepare to go to college, it occurs to me that I'm growing up. It's a jarring realization, like being woken up from a dream. For me, developing feelings for boys, leaving home, and planning for the future are all signs of coming adulthood and experiences I have resisted with the will of an army defending its nation from invasion. But the truth is you can't resist life. It comes at you hard and fast. Sometimes, just sometimes, parts of you have to grow up. My memories and inner child will always be my neverland. And while Peter Pan may have believed that "to die will be an awfully big adventure," I think to live will be the greatest adventure of all.