My Uncle | Teen Ink

My Uncle

Ever since I was little i looked up to my Uncle. He bought expensive barbies and toys just for me to play with when I came over. My Uncle always told me to not idolize these hunks of plastic, because i was the most beautiful girl in the world, and that i didnt need to idolize anyone except my self.

One day as i was being dropped off at my Uncles house for another play date, he pulled my mother aside and had a talk with her. I stood at the doorway, not sure wether i should go back to the car or jump on the box of barbies calling my name. My mother came over to me and picked me up as we walked to the car. I was confused, as i looked behind me I saw my uncle with tears in his eyes. Naturally, i grew tears in my eyes because i felt that would be the last time i would ever see him. My mother locked me in my carseat and kneeled down close to me. She held my hands and looked me in the eyes and told me that my uncle had contracted HIV from his boyfriend, I was 5 years old at the time.

11 years later and my uncle and I are still close to this day.I go to the doctor with him sometimes to get his medication updated. I talk on the phone with him reguraly and spend every holiday i can with him. The point to this story is that i choose my career goal on this memory. I intend to go to college to study chemistry, biomedical, and microbiology to one day find a cure for HIV/AIDS.