Our Lady of Consolation Shrine | Teen Ink

Our Lady of Consolation Shrine

There is a tradition that my family and I have practiced every year for as long as I can remember. Every year in August there is a church ceremony held at Carey, Ohio in honor of Virgin Mary. This holy city is a place where Catholics can pray and pay visit to Our Lady of Consolation Shrine. Two thousand and twelve marks the 100th year of the ministry of the Conventual Franciscans at the Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation in Carey. Thousands of Chaldean Catholics from the metro-Detroit area and other Catholics from all around gather there every year to connect in faith. Not only is this a pilgrimage to the shrine but many partake in fun festivities and celebrations. Close by the church there is a big camp site were visitors settle down and make camp fires, dance, barbeque, and walk around and enjoy each other’s company. Some only come for the church’s ceremonial walk and leave, while others stay for a couple of extra days to have fun.

My family usually leaves a day or two after and often we visit various water parks or amusement parks in Ohio. Some of the places I’ve been to are Kings Island, Kalahari, The Beach Water Park, Six Flags, and Cedar Point, just to name a few. I enjoy each of them in different ways. Whenever we want a thrill Cedar Point, Kings Island, or Six Flags usually does the trick but if we want to go to a water park, Kalahari and The Beach Water Park always keeps us satisfied, I enjoy water parks a lot. They are very fun to go to and the best thing about Kalahari is that it is an indoor water park so we can even enjoy it in the winter time.

I look forward to the month of August every year mainly for this time of religious fulfillment. The added bonus of seeing many people who you don’t get to see often is also nice. I have come across old friends many times which always makes me happy. In addition to all of this we usually get to enjoy going to some resort where we get to have a blast on numerous rides or slides. This year is no different. I am counting down the days of this wonderful occasion!