Hiatus | Teen Ink

Hiatus

By Dante Richardson BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
Dante Richardson BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

All my life I’ve loved cartoons, and I’ve always wondered what it’d be like to make these things myself. Recently I’ve wanted to take that dream into fruition, and I was willing to do whatever it takes to begin. I knew I could do it, I saw all of these great artist, some younger than me, all turn-out these great things, and the tip of the iceberg came when a friend took me to the college I wish to attend after high school, CCS.

I saw great things; CGI, Paintings, Charcoal drawings, Game design, and most importantly, Animation.
So right then and there, I knew I had to get started.

I searched the internet, looking for different things; storyboards, tutorials, you name it.
Then I got different supplies; special pencils, top notch erasers, special papers, the works.
I even began to write the stories for the situations that would occur in the cartoons. I wanted to start out with a more light-hearted approach, but they’ll get more serious as it goes on, thus the story of character development.

At this, I was elated. The fact that I took the first step at being an animator was a great accomplishment in my eyes. Now I was moving on to the drawing, which was something I was most ecstatic about! I must say, I was not planning on a Hiatus anytime soon. But one day, that plan was sidetracked…

I thought id ask my teachers my grades, I thought I was doing pretty well in at least most of my classes, but I was wrong.
I only had one good grade, an A I had in physics class, but everything else was horrible, unspeakable, awful. So I saw that with my lacking weight in academics, that there was a small margin of time for me to spare on other things, and that these grades of mine held the key to my future.

And if that wasn’t enough, I have a problem with laziness as well! I was in a totally bad situation, and I knew that if I didn’t get over it, my dreams are as good as gone…

So I knew then and there, until my priorities were straight, and I got over my case of procrastination, I must cast my project on…

Hiatus.

Life is worth living to potential, dont let it control you.