Attitude | Teen Ink

Attitude

April 27, 2012
By alexischaneil BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
alexischaneil BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Now that I’m older I’ve discovered who Alexis is, my likes, my dislikes, what angers me, my attitude, my personality as a whole, most of all my sassiness. About 11 years ago, I was 5 years old in Kindergarten, where we designed we big pencils, plopped down on the loud red carpet in Indian style, and repeatedly wrote on the dotted lines, some screaming “I got to go to the bathroom”, others sitting in their seats with their heads down, and me screeching and rolling my neck, making smart remarks to the teacher; “YOU DON’T KNOW ME”, “I DO WHAT I WANT”, “NUN UN”, “YOU CANT CALL MY MOM”, “YOU CANT DO THAT”, all in my little squeaky voice as Ms. Carmen blackmails me in hope that I will settle down.

As a little girl I was a spoiled brat and thought I knew everything. In my head I could make the “impossible”, possible. But, as I was standing on the blue chair making myself as tall as my teacher with the thought that I was superior even though she was very small, about 5’2, I began to think we were equal. As I was standing on the chair dramatically yelling at the teacher, something told me, “Alexis turn around.”

With the instinct to follow my first mind I turned around and at that moment I saw a tall brown skin man, with a full black beard and a mustache with a shiny silk like pistons coat and also a familiar face. A face so familiar that I changed all of my sassy actions. That familiar face was my grandfather. At that time I was in for a rude awakening, something I will never forget. My grandfather slowly pulled the little red chair with silver legs on it to the middle of the classroom, bent me over his blue khaki styled pants and whopped me. I felt defeated almost powerless. At that moment I realized “I’m not the boss of everything”.