My First Day | Teen Ink

My First Day

By Jonathan Heard BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
Jonathan Heard BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

My first day at my new school was a scary one. You are in a new place, and there are so many new people, it should be that way. I walked in the front door and was engulfed in the buildings huge maze like hallways immediately. I asked around for directions to this new thing called “Call to order.” They all laughed and pointed me in the wrong direction, sending me in a wild-goose-chase. After about five minutes I found it.

The lunch room. The lunch room was where it was. Call to order was in the lunchroom. I entered. The lunchroom was very crowded. Full of sophomores juniors and seniors. The tables were long, but not at all wide, and they had a funny looking green paint job. I found a seat. While sitting a large dark man, about 6’2”, approached a small microphone system that was set up. “Welcome to your new school” he said. His voice was deep as if he sung bass, and a little threatening. “Today we are going to do things differently. On today we are going to have a little contest.” A low buzz of voices overcame the silence of the room, for nothing like this has happened before. “nothing big, just a little talent competition.” He continued. “Today sixth hour we are having a talent competition. Today is a free day, as long as you are participating in the contest.” the bell rings in the middle of his sentence. “You are dismissed.” He says. We all exit and go to the teachers who we think will help us win. Without knowing a teacher in the building I was at a loss. After what felt like hours wondering around, I found my way to the orchestra room. The orchestra room was not what I was used to, it was small and cramped. The room was well kept though. To my left, every cello had its own space. To my left every bass had its own stand. To the front of me the violins and violas shared a rack. I picked up a cello and found a seat in the cramped room and just began to play. I had no or prepared piece and sheet music in front of me. Somehow, I improvised a piece that was actually worth listening to.

Other children entered in the room half-way through my piece and began to point and laugh at what and how I was playing. I felt a little discouraged but continued, and perfected the jumble of notes and rhythms I put together. After I felt as if I could perfect no more, I took a break and walked the halls. While walking I saw dancers and singers and people who I believed had more talent than me. It was too late. I had already entered the contest, and (the bell rings) it was sixth hour. I waited while other people went on stage and danced, sung, flipped, acted, rapped and a lot more. I felt as if it was just G.O. (game over) for me.

After waiting what felt like forever, it was finally my turn, the second to last person. I stepped on stage the lights were bright and hot, and pointed directly at me. This actually helped because I could not see the crowd. I sat and began to play. I made no mistakes. It felt like an eternity but it was finally over. No one clapped. No one cheered. There was a hush over the entire room. I went back to the orchestra room knowing that I just embarrassed myself in front of the whole school. I pack up and there was five minutes to the final bell so I began to head to the front door. Ms Bennett, the orchestra teacher found me. “YOU WON!” she said to me.

She dragged me back to the auditorium. People were Cheering and Screaming and going wild when I entered. I was stunned. I walked on stage and was greeted by the principal, who was on the mic earlier. Dr.Hayword. He congratulated me and gave me a blue medal and a pass for free dress for the week. That was my second best day ever.