Suddenly, I Became Me | Teen Ink

Suddenly, I Became Me

On August 8, 1994, the greatest man to ever walk the planet was born. His name was Anthony, and he grew up to be the greatest crime-fighting superhero ever known to mankind. This is his story. JUST KIDDING! I really was born on August 8, but I am not yet into the crime-fighting scene. Regarding my birth, I was born very early in the morning (around 3 AM) at the Memorial Herman Hospital in Houston, Texas. One thing that my parents always remind me about my birth was that I "shot out like a rocket." Apparently, I came out of my mother so fast that the nurse almost didn't catch me on the way out. Honestly, I believe it's exaggerated, but they always manage to tell me that at least once a month. I mean, THERE'S NO POSSIBLE WAY I COULD BE A ROCKET! I was just a little baby with some long cord attached to me. That doesn't sound much like a rocket to me. Anyway, my parents decided to give me a name in both English and Vietnamese. (They must have learned from my brother's mistake.) My Vietnamese name, Minh, means bright and intelligent. It's a pretty common name in the Vietnamese language, and why shouldn't it be? Who wouldn't want to be a genius? On the other hand, my English name, Anthony, comes from a hat. Literally, my parents pulled out a hat with slips of paper in them and pulled out a piece of paper with Anthony on it. JUST KIDDING! (again) After asking my parents, it turns out they don't know how they named me Anthony. My mom says my dad named me, and my dad says my mom named me. Therefore, I've decided to go with the story about them drawing a name out of a hat.

As for my first couple of years of life, I really don't remember much. My first word was super original. It was "ma." I may be the only child to ever say that as his or her first word. My first step was before my first year. I believe I was about 8 months old, and it just happened. I don't know how, it just happened. In my opinion, it was the first sign of my crime-fighting, vigilante future. One of my most memorable moments of my first five years was during preschool. At the preschool I attended, my classmates and I would have a little naptime. During this naptime, I had to go potty... and the rest is history. For some reason, about 30 minutes later, I had a wet spot in my pants. To this day, I'm not quite sure what happened. The world may never know. During my first few years, my little brother, Eddie was also born. I don't really remember much about him in these early years. I'm sure I hated him because he was my competition in the battle for attention. Other than that, my first five years were not that out of the ordinary. The only sort of humorous story is one in which my mom was holding me and at the same time was getting food out of the oven. She ended up burning my upper leg and I still have the burn marks. I guess it's not that humorous, but it is a scar for life that I will ALWAYS remember!