Coach's Kid | Teen Ink

Coach's Kid

My entire life has practically been spent in bleachers. It all began when I was ten days old and at the 1994 Bellaire Baseball State Championship, after that it wasn’t just the games that my father was coaching... it was any game that his school had and the entire Heasley family would be sure to attend. Every weekend since I was born has been spent under the bright lights of a Texas high school stadium, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I feel as if I have grown up in the stands cheering on the players and my Dad. And without it, I’m not sure what kind of young lady I would have grown up to be.
Being a “coach’s- kid” doesn’t just mean that you know every rule to every sport, that you’re better at any sport than others, even if you are the only girl at your school who can keep up with the boys at pee-wee football practices, or that you have to do drills all summer long to stay in shape. It means learning the true meaning of sportsmanship, both on and off of the field, it means appreciating the value of support from a family or a team, which most times can go hand-in-hand, and it means learning how to communicate and work with others to achieve a common goal. Without these lessons and the many more that I have learned throughout my life as a coach’s kid, I would not have the character, reputation, or achievements that I am proud of today.