The NOte | Teen Ink

The NOte

By Cameron Mulberry BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado
Cameron Mulberry BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado

The small yellow sticky note read, “ HURRY ITS A FAMILY EMERGENCY” Thoughts overwhelming me. Tightness in my chest as if I had an elephant sitting on top of me. Thinking who died? Slowly walking down the fluorescently lit hallway to my locker. Twisting the dial slowly so I do not miss a single number. Taking my time, not wanting to find out what happened.

Having to remember to walk with one foot after the other. Step by step walking into my solid black jeep. Taking the trip to Avista Hospital. Walking slowly into the hospital. Having to be let in the baby center.

Next thing I know calmness started to take over until, “BAM!”the door to the hospital room closes. The nurse walks slowly with a fake wood cart with a 2 foot by 2 foot plastic bin filled with blankets. When you look closely guess what you see; a limp body weighing 5 pounds 7 ounces. Waiting for my aunt to reply when I ask “What is wrong,” with fear and depression in my expression.

With a face full of sorrow, tears running down her face. She whispered “She died this morning at 7.” I cannot hold all sadness comes flowing out of me tear by tear.

Spending the following grueling days sitting in stiff hospital chair. Crying so hard I do not realize that my grandfather concerningly asked, “ Do you wanna get out of here?” until I am forcefully lifted out of my chair and carried out of one of the worst experiences ever.