In The Shoes Of Haley Michele (An Autobiography) | Teen Ink

In The Shoes Of Haley Michele (An Autobiography)

By Haley2012 BRONZE, Weaver, Alabama
Haley2012 BRONZE, Weaver, Alabama

Being me has always been interesting to say the least. From laughing to crying my life has been a long journey. Many things have been difficult for me as I have traveled down the path of life. Many trails have crossed my path that has led me into good and bad situations. There are many events that have shaped me into who I am today. Now I would like to tell you of three significant events that have made me into the person I am. Such as, when I had cancer, the impact of my family, and when one of my best friends ran away from home.

I was born on September 23, 1994. Four months after my birth, doctors discovered a tumor on my liver. They called it Hepatic Blastoma. They operated soon after discovering the tumor, and removed sixty percent of my liver. Doctors from across the country gathered to see and learn from the operation because of how rare it was. Today, I still have the scar across my abdomen to remind me of the miracle that happened on that day. Although I do not remember this day, it has made a significant impact on my life. I have often found myself looking at life in a different perspective than others. One minute mistake on the doctors’ part could have ended my life. This has made me appreciate life in a very unique way. Sometimes I look back and think, “What would life be like without me here?” I have impacted several people that have expressed their appreciation to me. If I was not here their life may be completely different. The impact on their lives has also changed mine. Being a surviving cancer patient has taught me to live life to the fullest because there is no guarantee on tomorrow. Life may end at any second. Thinking about this has changed my life because I know it only takes a second for you to make a mistake that will make your life completely different. Hopefully, my survival of cancer will inspire and encourage others that also have cancer. I always try to be the best that I can because you never know who is watching you or when life my come to an abrupt end.

Another thing that as impacted my life is my family. My birth-mother did not really want me when I was an infant. Nor did she care about me or my half-brothers. She treated us badly. She often pinched and choked my brothers, although to my knowledge, she never did these things to me. These instances have become factors in the way I have decided to live my life. I have learned that violence is never the answer to anything. My mother hardly ever tried to contact me and, as far as I know, she does not even care that I exist. Unlike my mother, my father is very supportive of me. He has taught me many life lessons. Such as, guarding my soul, always listening to others, thinking before speaking, and treating people like you want to be treated. My father has done many things wrong in has life and always tells me to learn from my mistakes and not do the same thing twice. He is a great influence on my life and I learn something new from him every day. He always helps me when I need him. If he is busy he would set everything down just to talk to me and make me feel better. Even if he is just listening to me get things off my chest or giving me advice, it never fails that I learn something new from him. He can always explain things in a way that I can easily understand. I am immensely thankful for the impact he has placed on my life, because he has shown me that anything is possible no matter what the circumstance is. He is undeniably the most significant part of my life and I would not be who I am today if it was not for him. Family has always had a significant effect on my life.

Another occurrence that has made an impact on my life is when my friend ran away from home. I can remember exactly how I felt, just like it was five minutes ago. My principal called me into her office during my third period anatomy class. She asked me if I knew the girl. I told her that I did but instantly knew something was wrong. That was when she told me. My friend had stolen her mom’s wallet, car key, and car and run off with her boyfriend. I felt the tears run down my chin, hot against my skin, before I actually knew I was crying. I was devastated. I could not believe what I was hearing. I wanted to think that it was not true but the serious faces and the tone in which my principal has spoken in told me that it was, indeed, true. I was scared. My mind was spinning. I felt dizzy and sick. Everything I had ever known was falling apart at the seams. I had no idea how to process the information I had just been told. I could not think straight. I could not comprehend anything. So many emotions were running through my mind that it made me sick to my stomach. I went back to class, upset and terrified for my friends’ safety. I could only hope and pray that everything would be okay. I still have not heard anything new about her whereabouts and I am fairly certain that I may never see her again. Moments like this have taught me that you have to live life to the fullest because tomorrow is not guaranteed. You never know when your life will be flipped upside down. Something can happen in a heartbeat that may tear down everything you have ever known. I have learned to take life as it comes because obsessing and stressing over the unknown will only make the situation worse than it has to be.

Throughout my life many bad things have happened to me. I try to never let it get the best of me or bring me down. Most people probably think I have led a perfectly normal life, however, this is not the case and they are absolutely wrong. The things that have happened to me have made me into who I am. I always find myself asking the same question, “If I could go back in time, what would I change?” I always find myself answering with the same thought, “Nothing.” If I tried to change my life I would not be who I am today. All the trials, temptations, heartaches, and other hard times have shaped me into the sensitive, thoughtful, and character filled person I am now. These are the most important moments in my life because they have made me a stronger person in the end, even if they came close to breaking me down. If I could give you one piece of advice to take with you throughout your journey of life, I would tell you to just hang out and hang in there. Life is a ride so go with it and enjoy the thrills and the hills. The climb is worth the fall, because you will never fall hard, you will pull through. Things will work out, and everything will be okay. You will come through the situation a stronger person, and it will change you for the rest of your life. So just remember, never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

I figured I would write about my life. There is so much more to add to this but I shortened it as much as possible. I think people can learn from this and realize that even though life seem bad, it really is not as bad as it seems. Things will get better in time and good things will come out of the bad situation. Just remember, "Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."