"A house can hurt, a home can heal." Maya Angelou | Teen Ink

"A house can hurt, a home can heal." Maya Angelou

March 2, 2012
By Holly Dillon BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri
Holly Dillon BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What this means to me is that you have a house, and with out love behind it, then it truly is just a house. What makes a home a home, is you are completely surrounded my love. People who were put in this world to love, support, and be there for you when ever, where ever. A home gives you that warm vibe right when you walk in.


A home is built on unconditional love and then some. A home is made up a house is just house, no love behind it, just walls and floors. Gives you an empty alone feeling. Made by a family who lives there that is divided and hateful. I never really had a home, I’ve always just had a house. So what this means to me is that the home I have now, wasn’t always a home. It wasn’t even a house, not in my opinion anyways. It was more along the lines of a place to sleep. My house was also divided, it had two side fighting against each other. One side consisting of my step dad and my mother, the other side was made up of my sister and I. Up until about a year ago, it was an on going battle going way back until that is all I can remember, with little memories of it ever being different. But that one memory was so vivid and so clear, that it kept me going through all the fighting, all the yelling, it kept me going because I hoped and prayed that one day it might be like that again. I finally got my wish, just not in the way that I had hoped. It was a night I will never forget, it was a night that will haunt my thoughts for the rest of my life. We were all sitting in my grandma’s dinning room, me, my mom, my sister, my grandma, and the police. Then it all went down hill from there. This took me by suprise, I always thought this would have brought my family back together, it would re-build us, help us start from scratch. But it didn’t. Causing our house to still just be our house.


After that long hard year, my family was finally justified. My step dad had lost, he finally got a tiny bit of what he deserved. He was sentenced to be put in jail with a 500,00 dollar bail. And finally, after a few more bumps and kinks, my house is starting to become a home, for the first time in 12 years. Finally being able to re-build our home on love instead of hate.