Absorbed | Teen Ink

Absorbed

March 2, 2012
By ariane-depaul BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
ariane-depaul BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't every tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."


My muscles twitched, urging me to turn back. It was too late for that. I was already here. I had been here for years; I just had never acted on my impulse. A quiksilver slip of my hand and it was over. The coals were enkindled and there was no rewinding time. Chaos snatched me up and dragged me to the realms of a dystopian Wonderland. Upon its sombre, ashen wings, I flew high in the nightmare skies. I soared through the tumultuous thunders and the white ribbons of lightning. On an inky nebula, I was fed ambrosial elixirs, unaware of its true qualities. Enticing me, I drank more and more. I sipped the poisons of the other world. I bathed in the nectars of grandeur, all whilst the tempest swirled on behind me. An abrupt whirlwind seized hold of me and launched me back down to earth in a spiraling descent. My eyes now blackened and my clothing tattered, I ached for the solace of my addiction. Relief was granted to me in the form of a misty, midday sun shower. I bottled up the raindrops, my desire, my vices. With a backwards tilt of the head, I felt my mouth mechanically opening. And I drank, and I drank, and I drank.


The author's comments:
Millions of people struggle with addictions, whether it be alcoholism, drug abuse, self injury, or even something as innocent seeming as caffeine. I'm personally working to overcome a self-harm problem as I write this. Addiction starts out as a safe-haven and rapidly develops into a razor-toothed parasite that gnaws at your core. The comforting kitten that you thought your solace to be has sprouted fangs and has pinned you down leaving little hope for escape.