Molly Rae | Teen Ink

Molly Rae

By JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

It was Tuesday night when I found out. I remember because it was right in the middle of NCIS. I was sitting in the wooden rocking chair with red cushions, just messing around on my small inspiron laptop when a text came. My sister, Stephanie, was with her friend Alyssa on some trip when she asked if I had a friend Molly who had died, but I didn’t, at first. Before then, hadn't been on facebook, and when I did scramble on it, I immediately wished I didn’t.

There on the news feed, the first think I read was “RIP Molly Rae. Fly High baby girl.” Looking down, that was all I saw. I sat, shocked, trying to wrap my head around this amazing, friendly, outgoing girl being taken by God, 4 days before her birthday. Finally, the tears came, hard. I remember Steph texting over and over again, wishing she was there, saying she knew how I felt. Though I knew she did, it did not comfort me.

Later, when I was finally alone in the living room, I sat watching Glee when “For Good” came on. I listened and was reminded instantly of Molly. Every word was our angel and that song alone made me start crying again.

It only seems right that it was the last song she performed. Since that night, to me, “For Good” was her song. When I listen to it now, I think only of her, and a small, sad little smile comes to my face. Molly helped make me who I am today, and she will always be with me. Her job in her almost 15 years of life on Earth was to change all who she met, especially the Class of 2014. Whether in her life or her death, she changed us. Her death brought us closer. I believe, that night, with that song, Molly was telling me she was safe now, she was where she was supposed to be.

Molly left this life doing what she loved, singing in her mother’s arms. Now she stands in heaven, showing the angels her talent, and watching over all the other HLH children who lost their fights. Fly High Molly Rae; our own rae of sunshine. Our angel.

This memoir is about a classmate of mine who passed away from a rare blood desease. She was unlike any person I have met. She was always optimissitic and was so nice to everyone. She touched everyone's life wwho she met. It's been about 9 months and I still miss her. Fly high Molly.

blaze16 said...
Jess... that was BEAUTIFUL! I may be a calaous man but this really did bring a tear to my eye. Remember molly is just as painful as hearing about her death that day... Its hard to think a year has almost past, and even though most names and memoires fade away, her's will never fade from the world.

JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

I remember the two wakes I went to. The first one and the last one. The first one, no one wasn't crying. I broke down just seeing her. Then I remember the last wake. We were all laughing and joking because we knew that was what she would have wanted. I will always remember how that last wake, I went to say goodbye to her one last time. I was fine all before that but just trying to really say one last goodbye made me break down and I broke down to Tyler. Then he had to leave and I was just standing in the corner still crying. And I will never forget, right before I left I wanted to say goodbye to Ryan and them and I walked into the room where her body was and Mike just came up to me, hugged me and just kept whispering "I can't do it. I can't say goodbye. I can't." That truly broke my heart </3

JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

We lost Molly to show how precious life is and how to always be happy. Her death brought my school closer together than anything. I'm waiting for the day I'll see her again in heaven. <3 But for now she's watching over all who she loves and taking care of the Histio angels up there with her. <3 Thank's for the review!!

TaurusGal GOLD said...
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
Very direct and clear.  Molly is definitely an angel.  And I hope I can learn to cherish life, as my soul might be taken one day.  But reading the "Five people in Heaven", it saids that no one dies with no meaning.  Some people die for others.  And some people die early because of destiny.  When we 'die', we are in heaven. In heaven, we learn about the mistakes we made in the human life.  Molly will be looking down from the sky, and smile at all of us.

Lice said...
on Feb. 25 2012 at 12:38 am
Nine Months today :/ This is a beautiful retelling Jess. It reminds me of when I first heard the news too, and how big of a shock it was that a beautiful soul such as hers was taken away from us... The song "For Good" also has it's special mening to me too, which just makes it all the more beautiful. What doesn't get accomplished by an angel in this life, certainly will in the next. Fly high.