We Walked Carefree | Teen Ink

We Walked Carefree

By EmmaG BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
EmmaG BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

One scene is a constant in each night I sleep. It turns each dream into a nightmare, it is the day I almost lost my friend’s life to my stupidity. In sixth grade I went to Amagansett with my best friend Daisy and her family. Snow was on the ground and trees were bare. Daisy, Sophia (her sister) and I decided to take a walk to the beach. The air turned out noses red and our hands cold but wdidn't’t mind so we kept walking. Once we got there we split off. Daisy and I played on the rocks by the beach while Sophia took a walk on the shore of a lake just across the road. Her camera clicked away as she took pictures of the lake stretched out in front of us. We all looked out across the lake. The sky was clouded over and different whites and blues highlighted the lake. It came as no surprise that Sophia wanted to take pictures of the breathtaking sight. I remember wishing I could go on the lake; I knew it would be dangerous, but then I was not thinking. As far as we could see it was completely frozen over. So we walked, carefree.
Sophia and I took the first steps onto the ice. There was a strip of ice so thick it was white so we decided to walk on that. We walked and walked playing around and talking. After about 5 minutes of walking we reached the middle of the lake. Blotches of darker ice with small ripples in it constantly showed up as we walked, so we thought it was a sand bar. We decided Daisy should go try it out but shdidn't’t want to. We told her “You’re the lightest! If it would holds up for you it will definitely hold up for us”
“I don’t know, that doesn’t…” she said as we cut her off
“Daisy, trust us it’s just sandbar, and anyway we’re right don’t worry!”
So she walked.
She took 1 weary step… 2 steps, she was getting more confident… 3 steps. Whoosh! Water flew 4 feet in the air splashing on to the ice and covering daisy’s head from view. Ice had broken and down Daisy plunged. I could barely make out her figure as she struggled to get out. I froze in shock, the sight of her falling made me scared, terrified in fact. I tried to remember what she was wearing so I could have a memory of her. But I couldn’t fear took over. Luckily as Daisy started to fall she had stuck her long arms out and prevented her head from going under. I wasn’t sure how to react so I just opened my mouth in shock no noise came out.
Sophia helped her sister onto the thicker ice. She worked to keep her calm because Daisy’s hysterical cries could be heard from far away. I ran back to the shore just to check out the ice. I didn’t want the same thing happen to daisy again. When I found the ice fine I called for them to hurry over to the shore. Daisy’s clothes were soaked, she was cold and we had nothing but ourselves. We worked to get her sweatshirt off, and then we gave her our coats. Even though we were cold we both knew daisy was much colder and I think deep down, we both felt guilty.
We walked along the lake holding onto Daisy as if we were afraid that if we let go of her she would be gone. Wdidn't’t walk back to the road we just kept following the shore not thinking. We stopped in a field of tall grass. There we had sat and talked to Daisy. She told us that she was planning on running all the way out and then jumping on the ice to prove to us that there was nothing to be afraid of but she changed her mind at the last minute and when she went to turn around that’s when she fell. She laughed at herself, so did we. Sophia said that she had her phone out and was going to take a picture of Daisy. I wonder, even now, if Sophia knew that Daisy was going to fall and that’s why she had her camera ready on her phone or if it was just luck. Daisy continued with her story saying that when she fell the water was cold and dark and she felt something slimy wrap around her leg. I told her it was probably seaweed and she believed me, yet she still looked terrified.
I had started to get cold so I told them that we should head home. When we stood up we realized that we were in the middle of a field in the back of a house that we had never seen before. So we walked. We walked along the driveway for what seemed like miles and laughed. We laughed about our stupidity; I think we were just trying to hide our thoughts of what could’ve happened. As we walked I kept thinking over and over again and I still ask myself this today, what if Daisy had gone under and was swept below the ice?