Getting Sniffer | Teen Ink

Getting Sniffer

By Charle5 GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey
Charle5 GOLD, West Windsor, New Jersey

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." -Aritsotle

Man, they give me way too much homework! I’m only in second grade. What do I have... That one page of math. I wish this bus ride wasn't so long. I want to get home so we can finally leave for the airport. Why, I haven’t even thought of a name for him yet! What if he’s ugly or boring? I don’t think so. This is going to be so cool. I will finally have my own puppy.

OK, I’m off that insane school bus... Dad better be ready to go. Or maybe I’ll have a snack first. Yea, I’ll have a snack. I don’t want to be hungry on that long trip to the airport. Hm, I wonder where on the airplane they put my puppy? They can’t put them with people, so where else could they go? I’ll ask daddy... Oh. That’s weird.

Ugh, dad, turn that stupid 80’s music off, please. Why do trips going to your destination seem longer than trips going back home? Probably because I’m excited. Do they have a special pickup section just for animals? They can’t put them on the same conveyor belt as luggage, can they?

This is a big airport. Everyone looks so important. Oh, a moving walkway! I love these. I wish it went faster. I’m getting hungry again, but I can wait. Is that the conveyor belt we’re looking for! Yes! Hm, there are so many cages... How will we know which is mine? Here we go. Ugh, I don’t want to wait until we get to the car, daddy! I want to see him now! Oh well.

Come out, little guy! Aw, he is adorable. Why is he so afraid? Probably because I’m so big to him! He’s giving me kisses, he must already like me. And why is he sniffing everything? He’s a real sniffer! … Huh, sniffer. I wonder if I mommy and daddy will let me call him that. Of course they will! Sniffer. I like it.

This is a memoir. However, it was written in the style of a stream of consciousness and in the voice of a second grader. Feel free to leave a comment. Thanks.