Viva Mexico. | Teen Ink

Viva Mexico.

By Ripley GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Ripley GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person."
— Audrey Hepburn <------ I couldn't have said it better myself.

The water was perfect that day. The icy chill of it, compared to the heat pressing on my back, was welcomed. Bright yellow rays fell down to the beach, warming everything in their path. The major effect of this was felt on the sand; piping hot coals couldn't compare to it's heat. I had been looking for sea-shells in the shallow parts of the ocean and so far had no luck. Actually, I was multi-tasking. In Mexico, a lot of jellyfish can be found, especially the part of Mexico I was in, Los Cabos, so you had to be careful around the water. Something shone from the deeper part of the sea, tinged with cerulean and cotton-candy pink, it floated like I imagine a feather does. However, this was neither a feather nor a shell. This was graceful and wiggly. I hesitantly reached down to grab it. That's when shocks started to emanate from my thigh. Excruciating pain seemed to cover my whole body. I'd never been through such torture before. I looked down, and there was this thin line braided into my inner thigh. Another squiggly, cerulean line. I observed it closer; a jellyfish tentacle was what it was. So much for being careful. I dug it out, but this only led to it sticking to my finger. Once I finally got it off, I felt nothing. Emptiness seemed to radiate out of my body. A numbness swept over my mind and I had only one goal: get off the beach. Sluggishly, slowly, I reached the top of the beach where my parents were. When I finally sat down on the beach chair is when the pain returned. On top of my sunburn, this was not making me happy. My mom had someone bring me a drink. I tilted my head slightly to drink it. The tanginess of strawberry delighted my taste buds, but it also tasted bland all at once. Shock. "This is what shock is," I thought to myself. I focused on breathing and the air. Spasms still seized my body; they only seemed to spread the longer I sat. I rested my drink on my thigh where the tentacle had struck, laid back, and captured the details of the moment. Salt sprayed the air from the ocean. That very salt still rested on my tongue and body, arresting my senses with overload. My body calmed, as did my mind, and I eventually fell asleep. In the peace of unconsciousness, I finally forgot my pain.

In English, I had to write about a memory. We had to show, not tell, as much as possible, and make it work. Did I do well?