My Embarrassing Moment | Teen Ink

My Embarrassing Moment

January 12, 2012
By Hlee23 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
Hlee23 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Happy, excited, and nervous. Those were the emotions I had. My story goes all the way back to the first grade. I’ll always remember this day as an embarrassing yet funny memory. It was a regular Friday night at my church sometime in February. Before the service I clearly remember watching all the guys playing basketball. I was only looking at one person, Justin Chon. All my other friends were playing house upstairs in the baby room, but I chose to stay behind and watch the guys play basketball. After praise time we had arts and crafts night. Pastor Janice, our children’s pastor, announced that we would be making Valentine’s Day cards for the people that we love. Once she said this, a thought popped into my head. Maybe today was the day that I would reveal my crush on Justin Chon! I thought long and hard about what I was going to write in the love note. After thinking, I went to Justin’s brother Chris and asked him what Justin’s favorite color was and Chris said it was green. My heart fluttered and my stomach did a somersault because green was my favorite color too. Feeling extra confident, I grabbed a green pen and a pink paper and wrote down these words, “Dear Justin, Happy Valentine’s Day! I love you(: You make me smile! LOVE, Hazel.” After I wrote those words, I took all the pretty markers that I could find and started decorating the card with hearts and other decorative things. Then Pastor Janice announced that she was going to collect them. At that moment I didn’t really know why she was collecting the card but I gave it to her anyways. Once she collected all of the cards she brought out the stapler and started putting all the cards up. Once I realized what she was doing my heart beat rapidly and I was freaking out! That card was for only Justin to see, but if Pastor Janice put it up then everyone would be able to see it and they would make fun of me. I quickly started brainstorming ideas on how I could get the card out of Pastor Janice’s hands. I then ran up to Pastor Janice and tried stalling, but she said she was too busy and told me to talk to her later. I carefully watched Pastor Janice as she read all the cards and then put them up. After millions of cards she finally lifted my card from the pile and started reading it. While she was reading I noticed that she snickered and shook her head. I was confused at why she snickered because it was a serious and romantic note. After she put up all the cards she announced that we could start reading everybody else’s cards. I desperately searched for mine and found that she put mine right above the dry erase board, the most noticeable place in the room. People started gathering around the card and finally I saw Justin approach the card. The older boys started making fun of Justin. He then turned around looked me straight in the eye and said, “Hazel why would you do that? That is so embarrassing. I don’t even like you!” He then stormed out of the room. I just stood there and all my friends came up to me and tried to comfort me. I remember I started bawling and I ripped the card down and ran to the bathroom. After I calmed down I went back into the gym and waited for Justin to say an apology. From opposite sides of the court we made eye contact and he gave me the dirtiest look ever. I then got mad marched up to him threw the note at him and said,” Happy? I took the note down meanie!” As I look back to that day I realized that I had a lot of guts writing that card, and I also had a lot of courage when I threw the note at him. Even though it was 8 years ago Justin and I still get made fun of because of that note. That card was my first heartbreak, but it was funny and embarrassing. I think that day was full of different emotions but by far it is one of my cherished memories. Today me and Justin are good friends and we look back and laugh at that card because in a way it made our friendship somewhat stronger.