My Memoir | Teen Ink

My Memoir

The first 7 years of my life, I don't remember much, but I know they were hard on my mom. My mom was a single mom, going to school, working, and trying her best to do everything. Her husband, my biological dad, left when I was just an infant. I don't remember him at all. I guess he just wasn't ready to have the responsibility of raising a child. My mom and I were getting along fine, but little did we know that not long after I turned 7, our lives were about to get so much better. My mom met my step dad. He was a handsome, caring guy. My mom and him took a liking to each other. About 1 year after they met, they got married. My mom and I moved out of our tiny apartment, and moved into a house with her new husband, my new step dad. He was great. He was fantastic. He was everything I ever imagined a dad would be. He treated me like I was his own. He even adopted me a few years later. Almost a year after they were married my brother was born. I was so happy. I finally had a sibling I could spoil and take care of. I was loving the 2 new people in my life so much, and I could tell my mom was happy. For the first time in my life, I had a whole family to call my own. We have our share of arguments, but I cannot think of life without my family. My family is the reason I am what I am today, and the reason that I am blessed to have all the necessities I need to live. I will forever be thankful for my step dad, because he treated me like the dad I never had.