That Day

THAT DAY…
It starts like this…
Heart pounding, hands shaking, I climb the stairs, careful not to trip, to the stage. It was graduation (not mine I was a junior) and I had been asked to sing the song “For Good.”

I swallow hard and try to remember the things I practiced.
Deep breaths.
Smile.
Relax.

The adrenaline floods through my body as I realize that this is anything but practice…

The music starts playing its introduction, hoping I remember to come in at the right time. I look down at my class mates and realize that I probably won’t see them again after today. Tears start to well up in my eyes but I push them away, knowing I promised myself I wouldn’t cry. The time comes and I start singing…

*I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives, for a reason, bringing something we must learn, if we let them, and we help them in return, well I don’t know if I believe that’s true. But I know I’m who I am today, because I knew you.*

I have learned so much from these friends. I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.

*Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun. Like a stream that meets a bolder halfway through the wood. Who can say if I have been changed for the better, but because I knew you… I have been changed for good.*

Nervousness completely consumes me and my hands at my sides start to shake even more than before. So I slide them behind my back and clasp them together trying to steady them. Without success I continue on to the next verse.

*It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime. So let me say before we part. So much of me, is made of what I learned from you. You’ll be with me like a hand print on my heart. And know whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.*

I start to relax, realizing that my friends are staring at me in awe and amazement. I was always the quiet girl in class, who did what she was told and got good grades. They never had a clue I could sing, let alone get up in front of a crowd and show it to everyone.

I glance down at them to see the awe again. But this time I notice something else… my class mates are holding back tears in their eyes.

*Like a ship blown from its mooring by a wind off the sea. Like a seed dropped by a sky bird in a distant wood. Who can say if I have been changed for the better, but because I knew you… I have been changed for good.*

My voice grows as I now sing directly to my friends.

*And just to clear the air I ask forgiveness for the things I’ve done, you blame me for, but then again I guess there’s blame to share. But none of it seems to matter anymore!*

I fight the tears threatening to spill onto my cheeks and press forward surging towards the end of my performance.

*Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun. Like a stream that meets a bolder, halfway through the wood. Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better… and because I knew you. Because I knew you… I have been changed…*

The music continues and the crowd sits on the edge of their seats waiting for the last part.

*For Good…*

The music fades to a stop and the crowd full of my friends, family and family of my friends jump to their feet and give me a loud standing ovation.

A smile spreads across my face as I’m walking down the stairs, to go take my seat with my family, a tear manages to escape and run freely down my cheek…