That Day | Teen Ink

That Day

January 3, 2012
By taya1113 BRONZE, North Ogden, Utah
taya1113 BRONZE, North Ogden, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
live the life you love, love the life you live!


THAT DAY…
It starts like this…
Heart pounding, hands shaking, I climb the stairs, careful not to trip, to the stage. It was graduation (not mine I was a junior) and I had been asked to sing the song “For Good.”

I swallow hard and try to remember the things I practiced.
Deep breaths.
Smile.
Relax.

The adrenaline floods through my body as I realize that this is anything but practice…

The music starts playing its introduction, hoping I remember to come in at the right time. I look down at my class mates and realize that I probably won’t see them again after today. Tears start to well up in my eyes but I push them away, knowing I promised myself I wouldn’t cry. The time comes and I start singing…

*I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives, for a reason, bringing something we must learn, if we let them, and we help them in return, well I don’t know if I believe that’s true. But I know I’m who I am today, because I knew you.*


I have learned so much from these friends. I wouldn’t be who I am today without them.

*Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun. Like a stream that meets a bolder halfway through the wood. Who can say if I have been changed for the better, but because I knew you… I have been changed for good.*


Nervousness completely consumes me and my hands at my sides start to shake even more than before. So I slide them behind my back and clasp them together trying to steady them. Without success I continue on to the next verse.

*It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime. So let me say before we part. So much of me, is made of what I learned from you. You’ll be with me like a hand print on my heart. And know whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.*


I start to relax, realizing that my friends are staring at me in awe and amazement. I was always the quiet girl in class, who did what she was told and got good grades. They never had a clue I could sing, let alone get up in front of a crowd and show it to everyone.

I glance down at them to see the awe again. But this time I notice something else… my class mates are holding back tears in their eyes.

*Like a ship blown from its mooring by a wind off the sea. Like a seed dropped by a sky bird in a distant wood. Who can say if I have been changed for the better, but because I knew you… I have been changed for good.*


My voice grows as I now sing directly to my friends.

*And just to clear the air I ask forgiveness for the things I’ve done, you blame me for, but then again I guess there’s blame to share. But none of it seems to matter anymore!*


I fight the tears threatening to spill onto my cheeks and press forward surging towards the end of my performance.

*Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun. Like a stream that meets a bolder, halfway through the wood. Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better… and because I knew you. Because I knew you… I have been changed…*


The music continues and the crowd sits on the edge of their seats waiting for the last part.

*For Good…*


The music fades to a stop and the crowd full of my friends, family and family of my friends jump to their feet and give me a loud standing ovation.

A smile spreads across my face as I’m walking down the stairs, to go take my seat with my family, a tear manages to escape and run freely down my cheek…


The author's comments:
I have always loved the song "For Good" from the play wicked and it has always been my dream to be able to perform this piece at my very own graduation and this is my dream come true. :)