Shards of Me | Teen Ink

Shards of Me

I hate when i see myself.
It's 12:50 and I'm in the bathrrom at school. The stale smell of those scratchy brown paper towels wafts to my nose as I stand at the sink, washing my hands. The water's scalding hot, and turns my hands red. I pump some soap in my hand sand was vigorously as if trying to scrub away the demons that are lurking up on me.
Gasping, and in near tears I shut the water off and grip the edges of the sink, blinking my eyes hard to rid away the the sudden rush of tears. And then, to my increasing horror, I do the one thing I never do when I'm alone. I look in the mirror.

At first, I see what all the rest of the worlds sees of me, on the surface. A plain looking anorexicaly thin girl, with short brown hair that looks like its been butchered to death. As I continue to stare myself down in the mirror, my harsh breathing the only sound the otherwise silent bathroom, I begin to lose myself, to succumb to the ghosts of my past who are determined to take control of me this time.

"First installment to my memoir. This memoir is basically about the pieces of me that I've lost in life and way i hat looking in mirrors."