Dreams do come true! | Teen Ink

Dreams do come true!

By Courtney Simmons BRONZE, North Baltimore, Ohio
Courtney Simmons BRONZE, North Baltimore, Ohio

I’ve always had a dream. A dream that I never thought would come true, a dream that could change my life. Then, one day I learned that dreams do come true! It was the best news I had gotten in years. It was a text message from my sister. As I read it I began to cry. 17 years old, my first tears of joy. I never thought this day would come! I shouted in my head. I immediately texted my friends and told them the amazing news!

My dream come true had finally happen. My two favorite bands, Sublime and 311, were playing at concert together. This was literally my dream come true! My sister and I had always joked about this. We always said, “What if Sublime and 311 played a concert together?!” Then we would laugh thinking that this would never happen. Sense I was about 12 years old I have been listening to Sublime and 311. 311 has been one of my favorite bands for a very long time. Sublime came a couple years later but I have an honest, deep, passionate, true love for them. Sublime keeps me sane. If I am upset about something, they make me happy. If I’m mad about something, they calm me down. I think I listen to them religiously. I know every single song by Sublime and I know just about every sing word to every single song. I will admit, I don’t know every 311 song. It’s a shame, but their newer CD’s aren’t as good as their older CD’s. Anything before the last 2 CD’s they made, I know every song to. Then the two newest CD’s I only know a couple songs off each album. But Sublime’s new CD, I know every song to. They are both my favorite bands but if I had to choose one it would be Sublime. They have honestly helped me through many struggles in my life. But anyways, the day I found out was one of the best days of my life. I had to hurry and tell my mom because my birthday was coming up.

The day of my birth came and I got no tickets. Sad face. So I decided, hey, I’m a big girl; I can work for this money. That night I messaged my Great Aunt Sherry on face book and asked her if there was anything she needed done around her house. I explained to her that I didn’t get the tickets for my birthday so I needed to earn money to buy them myself. She messaged me back with fantastic news. She said I didn’t even have to wok for the money; she would just buy them for me. So I thought to myself, heck yes!

There was still two months until the concert. The anticipation was getting stronger and stronger everyday. I had countdowns all over the place. One in my planner, one in my calendar in my room, one in the calendar in my phone, and one in my mom’s calendar. I was ready to go! As time went by I grew more and more excited for one of the best days of my life to come.
Months turned into weeks, weeks turned into days, and days turned into hours. It was finally the day of the concert! I woke up in the morning feeling like a hundred bucks. I walked straight out of my room, right to the bathroom, and peed excellence that morning. I felt like nothing could get in my way that day because I knew what was yet to come.

I went to my sister’s house where we would all meet up to drive to the show together around 3 o’clock. Once everybody got there we all pilled into Randy’s van. I yelled shotgun first, so I got to sit up from and control the radio for the ride up. We take off and start our journey to Columbus. Everyone is laughing and singing having a good time until I realize something very, very bad has happened. “My ticket!” I screamed because I couldn’t find It anywhere!
“Courtney, you can’t find your ticket?!” My sister yelled up at me from the back of the van. So of course, everyone hears her. As soon as the girl driving heard my sister say that, she slammed on the brakes. We all began to freak out. I thought I was going to cry. The day that I had been waiting and waiting for was here, but might be ruined.

I had Ashley, the driver, turn around and go back to my sister’s house. I went inside and almost immediately found my ticket. I was so relieved! I ran out to the car so we could continue onward. About an hour and a half we arrived at our destination. It was an amazing summer day outside and everyone was having a blast. Sublime was the first band on and 311 was the second band. I cried during a couple different sublime songs, got to touch the singer, and caught the drummers drum stick. I can’t even put into words how amazing it was to catch that drumstick. Then 311’s show was also amazing. There were more mosh pits for 311. All in all, that was one of the best days of my life and I will remember it forever.

I love cookies.