Niagra Falls | Teen Ink

Niagra Falls

October 27, 2011
By EricW BRONZE, Hinsdale, Illinois
EricW BRONZE, Hinsdale, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The rushing of the water made me feel like I was inside a tsunami. It was more powerful than any rainstorm I have ever experienced. The beauty and serene view does not do it justice. The power of the falls is something every being who experiences them respects. The Niagra Falls are something you see once in a lifetime. The beauty of the falls, and the rainbow the water droplets creates gives you a sense of peace. I was lucky to travel to Niagra this summer, and it is an experience I will never forget.

After a very long drive, we had finally arrived. My body was as cramped and sore as an old man’s, even though we stopped over at numerous service stations along the way. We had begun our long road trip early in the morning, and arrived in Niagra late in the afternoon, spending out whole day in our car. I was not very enthusiastic about going to Niagra, since I didn’t think it would be very interesting or fun. As I limped my way out of the car, holding my sore bottom, my opinion didn’t change at all. The small town of Niagra was very quiet, store wise. There were only a few restaurants, most of them being Indian restaurants, and not much else in the immediate vicinity. It would seem like a small town, with not much to do, if you were sent there with no idea Niagra falls was right across the park. However, as the next day arose, and we made our way to the falls, my experience changed completely.

It was magnificent. Hundreds of meters of water came splashing down into a gorge of white, bubbly water. As the top of a cake, a double rainbow spanned across the falls. It was a beautiful warm summer day. As we made our way to our first stop, the Maid of the Mist, I could see that things were going to get wet. We received our blue water coats, and got ready to board the boat; it was going to be a blast, literally.

Water rushed from all directions. It did not look this vicious from the top of the falls, probably because of the heavy mist that shrouded the base of the Horseshoe Falls. It was like taking a shower, but with super powered water jets. The wind was strong as a tornado. The water coat failed at its job, and I ended up as soaked as clothes in a washing machine. It was of course an experience of a lifetime, which I will never forget.

Roaming the falls, and the islands surrounding them, was time to dry off. Te view in every direction was absolutely gorgeous. Lunch was had at the Top of the Falls restaurant, which was great. Just as we had dried off, we decided to go to the Cave of the Winds. I wasn’t quite sure what it was, but was I in for a surprise.

We went down the falls a few hundred feet, for a series of wooden platforms, below the American Falls. The water splashing off the rocks was just as powerful as the Horseshoe falls, if not more powerful. Hundreds of gallons of water poured all over the platforms, and anyone in the path of the water was absolutely soaked. After coming out of the shower, feeling squeaky clean, we had one final roam around the falls, and retired to the hotel after an exhilarating yet exhausting day.

This experience of the Niagra Falls was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am grateful to have been able to awe at its greatness, stare at its beauty, and respect its power.