I Love You, Mom | Teen Ink

I Love You, Mom

October 10, 2011
By darby15 SILVER, Detroit, Michigan
darby15 SILVER, Detroit, Michigan
9 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Sometimes we run out the door in the morning without acknowledging that you may never see the people you just left ever again. It’s a terrifying truth, but anything could happen at any time, and the people who are important to you right now might not be there tomorrow. If you don’t pay close attention, you could start taking for granted the fact that you have them in your life. You might not know what you’ve got until they’re gone.
A lot of the time, my mom is far from my favorite person. The hateful hormones in me take over, and I see annoying, frustrating qualities in her that aren’t really there. While I don’t always like her, I always love her, and my mother will always be one of the most important people in my life.
Often forgetful and unorganized, my mom is a silly and sloppy woman who is sometimes has a short temper, or is easily confused. However, she is also warm, caring, and kind. Everything she does, she does with love. Sometimes she is such a mess of emotions I think it is ridiculous how sensitive she is, how such a small, irrelevant thing could provoke such raw emotions, but then I realize that it is okay to just go ahead and feel, and not always have it all together. My mom often-well, more than just often- embarrasses me, but then I realize its okay to be yourself, and that the rest of the world can just deal with it, so I laugh right along with her. Occasionally she snaps, as I make her do so much, and it frightens me that my strong, independent mother can’t handle it. It makes me remember she is only human, and though she is far from perfect, it is that that makes her the perfect mother.
There are many things I would be devastated to lose: my blanket, my friends, my favorite pair of jeans, my laptop, or my iPod. The loss that would most disintegrate me, however, would be the loss of my family. I’m selfish about my mother in particular. I don’t want her to be more of a wife to my father or a mom to my brother than she is my own mother. She is everything to me- my shopping buddy, my fellow victim of cleaning, my movie pal, and one of my best friends. I don’t have to worry about who I am or what I do with her. She will proudly stand by my side as I accept my diploma from Stanford or Harvard, but I know she would be there, however sorrowfully, to bail me out of jail or to pick me up from a club when I was under aged if that was the mistake I made. My mom wouldn’t abandon me, ever. She will always be there for me, even if I can’t always see her.
Many lessons can be learned by thy mother’s hand. This is a lesson I know personally, for my mother has taught me so much. From her I have learned that if I am myself, I will be the best person I could ever imagine to be. I have learned to believe that I am beautiful and funny and smart, and that girls can be just as amazing in a jersey and cleats as a ballerina tutu. My mom has showed me that if you work hard enough and want something bad enough, you can always have it, whether it is a new pair of boots or a college scholarship. I understand now that I don’t have to go to every party, and my friends will still be there for me tomorrow, because sometimes its better to just stop and smell the flowers without always going, going, going. She’s almost got me convinced that if I try something new 11 times, I will truly know if I like it. My mother has shown me that an apology delivered with a compliment is always better received than one without, but it is better to not say sorry at all than to do it insincerely. I’ve learned that its fun to let your hair down and make a huge mess, as long as its worth the price of cleaning it up. She has taught me that it’s okay to cry. My mom has demonstrated how to be loving and caring, and to always believe in yourself. I have learned to stand tall and strong, and to know inside that I can do anything. My mother has helped sculpt me by making me able to stand on my own. She has made me ready to take on the universe.
I love my mom. I believe in her and she believes in me. Together we are the perfect team, able to do anything. We’re superwomen: sometimes annoying, sometimes whiny, but always standing together like the moon and the sun: completely different but perfectly in sync with the world.