Noel--a tribute

Noel died on Monday after a long struggle with kidney disease. He will never be buried. His obituary will never be put in the paper. His life will never be famous. He will never have a tombstone.

Because Noel was a cat.

But he was more. Noel was a devoted friend and companion. When I put my dolls on his back in kindergarten he would sit there, sometimes obliging to stand up. He would let you pet him for hours on end and still purr because he loved you. And I loved him.

I write this as a small tribute to him, to honor the life of a special cat. He died outside on the garden wall, and sometimes I feel like he’s still with us. I write this for anyone who has ever lost a pet, because I know how hard it is.

And the pain dulls. I will get over him. But right now it is a thorn in my side, a nagging reminder that he is no longer with us.

And I hope wherever he is he has tuna.

RyanTyler said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:53 am
Sad but i understand, I have two cats and a dog and they are getting old and it's hard knowing that they will die someday. Anyways I like this pices it has a lot of emotion in it.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this so much! I have a pet, and I've never really lost one before, but I'm always really scared of what it will feel like if I ever lost her. That last line was really cute. Good job!! :)