49 Years From Now | Teen Ink

49 Years From Now

By Muh-ree-uh PLATINUM, Springboro, Ohio
Muh-ree-uh PLATINUM, Springboro, Ohio

"This one's for the girls who have ever had a broken heart, who have wished upon a shooting star, you're beautiful the way you are..."
-Martina McBride

Dear even older and even wiser Maria,

WOW! Those wrinkles are highly attractive and make it distinctly obvious that you’ve been around for a good sixty-five years. By now, I hope you have accomplished a set few of my many desires. First off, I hope you have a beautiful family, preferably one with three darling children and a good-looking Italian husband. My wish is that you have had a strong relationship with God within your household. Through the years, I expect that you have taught a great deal of English and Spanish to Jr. High kids. I hope you are now kicking back and enjoying the life as a retiree in your cute little English tutor house that is littered with grandchildren.

I hope you’ve experienced every moment of every day of your life to the fullest. Especially, the days that will always mean the most to you. I hope you’ve experienced tossing a scarlet graduation cap in Columbus and walking down aisle in a beautifully fashioned white dress. I hope you have witnessed the cries of a newborn baby and many kisses goodnight. With every Thanksgiving and Christmas that has passed, I hope you have spent it with those whom you love. And as for Tori, Ashley, Megan, Audrey, Austin, Nathan, Mitchell, Tj, and their spouses—I hope you’ve been enjoying your Sunday evening card games. It is also my hope that you’ve spent hours sharing stories with your grandchildren and have been hosting the annual Christmas cookie decorating slumber parties. I also hope your husband isn’t too grouchy because dealing with an old grouch isn’t a lot of fun. Foremost, I truly hope that you’ve spent these years living a life that has glorified God because that is the most important thing I could ever wish for our life.
Love,
Your younger, more attractive, 16-year-old self