Moonlight Nights

Sometimes, when I’m alone, I climb out onto my roof at night and stare at the moon. The moon gives me a sense of security. When I look at it, I know there are millions of people around the world staring at the exact same moon.

I always wonder if you’re one of those people.

I look up and wonder if maybe you’re staring out your bedroom window, thinking about me too. I know it’s next to impossible that you are, but I can’t help but think it anyways. I let out a sigh, knowing you’ll probably never know how I feel.

That’s when I think about her.

I think that she’s not good enough to be with you.

But she is. My inner voice whispers.
She doesn’t understand you like I do!

But he still picks her. My inner voice is quieted by the growing anger of my thoughts.
She’s nothing like you!! My thoughts roar in my head as I breathe heavier.

But he likes HER.

And with that, my mind goes completely blank as I stare at the moon again; this time letting a single tear roll down my cheek.

It is now that I get a text, and before looking at my phone, I know it is you.

Yeah. You start. She’s great. I mean, I really, really, really like her.

The tears continue to stream as a misplaced smile creeps up to my face, somehow managing happiness through my hurt in knowing you are happy. More tears roll as I pull my knees close into my chest. This was a familiar, comforting gesture I had learned to do, as I was learning I would usually be alone when most needing people.

That’s great. I slowly respond. You deserve someone like that.

Reluctantly clicking send, I stare up at the moon for one last moment. This time, I know you’re not one of the million people staring at the moon, and that you are most definitely not thinking about me. I hear my dad call downstairs, and I almost simultaneously yell “Coming.”

I wipe the smeared make up and wet tears off my cheek before climbing back through my window. Turning my back on the moon, you, and the unscrupulous dreams I had about us.

Ducatiluvr848 said...
thank you all for the wonderful feedback(: I'm glad I'm not alone in this(:

565656565 said...
This was moving and touching, great writing.

AsianChick said...

This is really sad...and what makes it even more sad that this happens every day to many girls. 

You just have to be patient and that person who was looking at the same moon as you, will find you.(:

leahlooloo said...
Omg this sounds just like me. I always go out on my roof and think about stuff. When I'm out there it just helps me to understand things a whole lot better!!

rnkels said...
Your story can relate to a lot of people. To me the moon is a connection shared between those not in the same zip code.

pixie chick said...
i know how this feels and seeing him with another guy makes it worse i liked that you wrote this for other people to see and to help them

iloveunicorns said...
this story is relatable. but there is always one other person thinking about you. stay strong!

PerfectTwo said...
This is so sad. I have had this happen to me before and i know the feeling. It makes me think about my situation with a guy.

i miss summer! said...
this is kinda sad

leslie2013 said...
Whenever I look at the moon i often wonder who else is looking at it too and where else is it shinning bright.

Ilovellamas said...
Don't doubt yourself. You'll always be good enough for a person. 

511d said...
The moon is a mystical thing and for some reason if by media or something else we always imagine that the person we are meant to be with is staring back at the same moon and thinking that same way too.

katie said...
i liked this story, i can relate to it. me and a lot of people iknow have been through the same thing 

summer said...
This was a great story. Most people wonder this and it was well written and had much meaning

mliz said...
That was really powerful. It was a fantastic little story to read. I know I'm not alone in that either.

Daniellelucy. said...
cool story, bro.

mcollins said...
i liked this memoir. It's sad because the girl writing this likes a boy who jus considers her as a friend.

sid13 said...
i didn't understand this article..at all.. too deep and complex

nomnomnom said...
i have felt like this once too, so i can unerstand the feelings from this story. 

DLWB...3,25 said...
i do that exact thing. i love going out on the roof at night and just letting all my thoughts just go where ever.