Friday Night Lights | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights

By Michelam11 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
Michelam11 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I was fourteen years old, the first time I marched onto a football field. The Creekview High School Mustang Marching Band was four years of hard work and dedication. I can still remember the sights and sounds from the first time that I marched out onto the football field to perform. The roar of the crowd, cow bells rattling in the distance, and Mr. Hazzard’s words of encouragement before stepping onto the field. When I stepped out onto the field, I felt so many mixed emotions, happiness, excitement, fear,
And pride.
The band experience, one of hard work, discipline, dedication, and sharing the moments of success as well as disappointment with my fellow band mates, helped shape my four years of high school.

Summer band camp, after school marching rehearsals, football games, 3 a.m. competition marching rehearsals, marching competitions, and pep rally’s is part of the everyday experience in band. Four years of being out in the relentless heat of Texas summers, running, until some of the band kids’ dropped from exhaustion. Practice, practice, and practice again, until I felt as tough my fingers would fall off. Four years of memorizing music, formations, speeches of motivation, and exasperation. Pursuing funds for fundraisers, participating in fundraisers, planning fundraising activities and, did I mention how important fundraising was? Everything I experienced in the Mustang Marching Band helped make my high school years such a wonderful and memorable time.
I remember my first day of band camp. The seniors, and section leaders standing around the band hall, laughing, and preparing for a long hard day in the sun. I walked in scared, and trembling. I didn’t know what to expect. All of a sudden I heard a whistle blow. All of the upperclassmen froze, and got into some sort of attention position, the room was completely silent. I was amazed! The band director yelled to go outside onto the marching field; they were all still standing at attention during his instructions. Then he yelled “band dismissed,” and everyone responded with, “hustle!”

Outside, the seniors, and section leaders got in a circle, leaving pockets of space in between them, for the incoming freshman. I filled one of the open spots, We Started with, basic instructions, how to strike the correct pose at attention- and all of the other details that are so important in unifying a band, the journey had begun.
Most people in band go through a phase where they question whether they should quit band, or continue and persevere. I remember that exact moment when I made the decision to stay with band all the way through my senior year.
It was the last competition of my freshman year. We had just finished marching warm-up, and music warm-up. It was time to go to the field entrance block. I get in position, and then I look over, and see the senior section leaders crying. The tears were streaming. Alex Wright, and Emily Ergas were trying to hide their tears unsuccessfully. I was confused. I didn’t understand why they were so upset. Until now, my senior year. The moment I marched onto the field to perform for the last time, for competition at the U.S.S.B.A State competition.

Standing in line, side by side, two by two, the drum majors up front, and the crowd cheering. Mr. Hazzard standing in front of us, with one of his motivational speeches. I understood. I started crying. I knew I would have to control the tears, for now, we were about to perform. I stepped onto the field for the last time. I gave my last performance my all. Four years had passed, and it was over. We marched off the field, and all of the (clarinet) seniors broke down crying. It was so very clear to me, as to why the seniors were crying at the end of my freshman year. It was the commitment, time, and relationships that were built that culminated in that moment in time of bittersweet feelings

The memories that we made in band. Mr. Hazzards infamous phrases: “On time is late, early is on time,” “Talking is a sign of insecurity,” and “ there are no exceptions to the rule.” To the 1, 500 hours spent in practice during marching season, and, yes it was calculated on an iphone by someone at some point in time. It was well worth the time, sacrifices, commitment, and yes, even the tears that were shed of joy and sadness that my time as a Creekview marching band member was coming to an end.

M&Ms said...
That was really awesome. You can tell a lot about a person through their passions and dedications. I really hope you continue to live that dedicated to what ever you do in life. But overall, your memoir is inspiring. =)

Sooki said...

Wow, you describe band perfectly and with so much passion and reminiscence. 

It brings back the special memories I had this year, and excites me for the this year. 

I'm so proud of you! :) i hope this gets published

p.s. when did we have a 3AM practice? isnt it PM?

:))) said...
That was great Michela! 

alishaL786 said...
wow! good job! i really liked how you made each of your memories into such significant events :) fantastic! :)

IvanJoe21 said...
on Jun. 21 2011 at 10:55 am
I'ts amazing how you can look back on a major group and see how it affected your high school life, Orchestra has done the same on me in a relative way and it's amazing to know that other programs affect their students in a positive manner...

NickSKATES said...
on Jun. 21 2011 at 1:49 am
NICe.. I know the emotional feeling you get.. I was in technical theater from freshmen year, all the way towinning STATE champions for one act play.. it builds on You. And you become a family, and its something ill miss dearly.. anyways, like the memoir! It'sbetter than mine. lol

Ms.Awesome said...
Oh the joys of band. It was so much fun picking on you while I was a senior. 

xxhaeunxx said...
michela, you were an awesome leader and friend in band. thank you for everything :)