Non-Sweet Berries | Teen Ink

Non-Sweet Berries

By milor BRONZE, Sunnyside, Washington
milor BRONZE, Sunnyside, Washington

When I was 7 years old I saw my Grandpa’s belly button for the very first time. It was an extremely hot summer day; he had the fan in the living room on. He was sitting on the couch with his eyes closed. You could never tell if he was awake or not; therefore, I opened his eyelids to see his pupils. He must have been frightened because he shook so I fell to the ground.

When I got up I noticed his shirt was unbuttoned. His whole belly was revealed, but his belly button wasn’t there! Why? All I saw was a big white belly with a red outlined circle where his belly button should be.

Grandpa noticed me staring at it, so I asked him what had happened to his belly button. Then he began too speak. I didn’t understand him. He had this weird way of talking, all I could understand was the beginning and the end. I just smiled and played with my belly button. I didn’t know what else to do.

I remember me and my Grandpa would always pick berries in the summer at my aunts , we could spend the whole day picking them. He knew how i hated getting non-sweet berries. He would always gave me most of his. I love my Grandpa he cares so much for me and I thank him for that.