OMG! Ice Cream That Never Melts! | Teen Ink

OMG! Ice Cream That Never Melts!

May 25, 2011
By CAtlan SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
CAtlan SILVER, Marietta, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Fists hammering glass, feet stomping the ground, when the doors finally open, everyone charges in, knocking down innocent old ladies, to wipe the ice-cream that never melts off the shelf, grabbing as many as possible. This could be the end of sticky, dripping ice-cream cones; Cold Stone Creamery, an ice-cream shop, had designed an ice cream that doesn't melt. Ice cream is normally churned at a snail's pace with milk, cream, and sugar, trailed by freezing it. Cold Stone Creamery found out by adding pudding to the mixture, it could create a no-drip ice cream. Forget the astronaut freeze-dried gunk you get at the science museum gift shop. This is best invention since laptops and television.
In June, Cold Stone Creamery introduced an ice cream that doesn’t melt. The drip less ice cream comes in two flavors, Butterscotch Velvet and Chocolate-y Goodness. In frozen form, it resembles ice cream, but if left at room temperature and mixed with pudding ; it molts into a mouth watering wonder. How did they do away with one of America’s favorite frozen treat’s deepest secrets? Ice cream is like Play-Doh for scientists; it practically begs to be experimented on. A simple bowl of organic vanilla, one of the most complex foods we eat, is becoming even more so, because in laboratories, restaurants, and home kitchens, ice cream is being reinvented everyday.
Do you know what ice cream is? I bet you don’t; all you care about is that it tastes good. Ice cream is prepared from butterfat, nonfat milk solids, sugar stabilizers, and flavoring agents. Butterfat gives ice cream its creamy flavor and texture while, nonfat milk solids gives ice cream its, body and make it smooth; gelatin can also be added to give the blend a smooth texture by preventing large ice crystals from forming during the freezing process. Sugar and various kinds of flavoring provide sweetness and add to the irresistible, creamy taste of ice cream. Natural flavorings, such as chopped or whole fruits or nuts also add a variety of different textures. Even though, who likes fruit in their ice cream.

After being mixed, the ingredients are pasteurized, usually at 155° F/68° C for about 30 minutes, which would be forever for some people. They are then thoroughly blended before being cooled in a freezer. While still in semi liquid form, the mixture is removed from the freezer and poured into packages. The packages are stored in refrigerated rooms at -25° F/-32° C where the ice cream becomes firm.

Products comparable to ice cream include sorbet, ice milk, frozen custard, and tortoni. Sorbet is usually made with fruits or fruit juices, sweeteners, and small amounts of egg white or milk. Ice milk contains more nonfat milk solids and less butterfat than ice cream. Frozen custard contains all of the ingredients of ice cream with extra amounts of eggs or egg yolks. Tortoni is an ice cream made with heavy cream including minced almonds, chopped cherries, or other fruits.


Thinking of a way to make ice cream, someone at Cold Stone came up with an idea for an ice cream that would have the texture of Jell-O pudding that doesn’t liquefy The guy who created the flavor discovered this when he accidentally left a bowl of it out on the counter; a classic example of a scientific coincidence. The recipe calls for familiar basics like yogurt, creamed cheese and scraped bourbon vanilla beans. Talbot, the person who founded ice cream that doesn’t melt, began by adding Methocel to his unfrozen ice cream mixture, then he dips an ice cream scoop into the mixture, moves the scoop to a pot of boiling water, and, as the ice cream dumplings, little balls of “hot” ice cream. When the ice cream is removed from the water, it is firm just like regular ice cram is when you take it out of the freezer. This means that, weirdly, hot ice cream actually has to melt a little before you can eat it.
Pudding gets its texture from starch, or long chains of sugar molecules. “The starches in the pudding bind with the milk in the ice cream,” explains Nola Krieg, a chef at Cold Stone Creamery. The result, instead of liquefying at room temperature, the ice cream transforms into a mousse-like dessert. There may not be a liquid spillover, but how does it hold up the taste test? Rocket over to your local ice cream shop before your remaining time is moped up when you keep waiting.