girl discrimination | Teen Ink

girl discrimination

By charvi BRONZE, Delhi, Other
charvi BRONZE, Delhi, Other

be positive

It was a very hot sultry day. I was sitting on my computer and listening to songs. My mom was sitting just next to me when suddenly the door bell rang. I opened the door and found my neighbor aunty with a box of sweets in her hands. She asked in a humble tone “Is your mom there at home?” I called my mom. She greeted the lady. The lady said” my daughter in law has given birth to a baby boy”. Oh my god! The emphasis she laid on “baby boy” was just too much “and so I am distributing sweets in the society”, she continued. She handed over the box to my mom and left. “Where was she when Garima was born? Did she distribute any sweets then?” I complained disappointingly. My mom did not say anything and went inside. I did not feel like eating those sweets. My god these orthodox people! When will they understand the importance of a girl? She had even given us an invitation card along with the sweets. The same day in the evening they had hosted a party for the “baby boy”. I unwillingly went there and what I saw was really stunning. The baby was in her grandmother’s laps, probably sleeping. And all the relatives stood there dying for getting a photograph clicked with the family’s “kuldeepak”. And her sister garima was nowhere to be seen in the procession. I was searching for her. i found her sitting alone in a corner with a sad face. I went to accompany her. She turned towards me and said “didi, no one loves me. From the very day, my brother has come; no one is talking to me properly.” She soon started weeping. I felt pity on her. She was ignored as if she never existed. I soon came back home with a heavy heart unable to bear the discrimination the small girl was going through.

charvi BRONZE said...
on Jun. 23 2011 at 8:25 am
charvi BRONZE, Delhi, Other

be positive

superb. we really need to fight for this.