Early Graduation Present

May 27, 2011
By Mario Moya BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
Mario Moya BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Illuminating smiles and loud cheers woke me from my profound sleep. Family, friends and hospital staff surrounded my bed staring at me like they had just witnessed Bigfoot. No, it wasn’t me getting a new phone, getting new car or even getting a full ride to college: IT WAS GETTING A SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE. I had woken up from a four day coma not realizing how much time had passed me by. The last thing I remembered was getting admitted to the ER. I thought I had been asleep for a few hours but asleep I was, almost permanently.
A simple combo burger meal at Jack in the Box caused my demise. From the time I ordered to the time I got my meal I had no idea this simple patty and buns would almost take my life a few days later. The Salmonella bacteria prospering and growing calling the red patty their home were anxious for the moment I put the burger in my mouth. Unknowingly, I went along with their scheme, overwhelmed by the smell and taste, not knowing the consequences that were too come.
In fact, it did not take long for the bacteria to go to work. As soon as they entered my mouth they began their demolition of my immune system. Lightheadedness, vomiting and diarrhea was how my body communicated something was terribly wrong but I chose not to listen. “I’ll sleep it off,” I told my mom when I got home from school. She suggested going to the hospital, but I chose not too, not knowing what was really going on inside me. A foreigner had entered my body and was wrecking havoc with no care in the world.
After not being able to take the pain and the hourly vomiting and diarrhea I finally decided it was time to go to the hospital. On my way to the car I collapsed from weakness and couldn’t take another step further. Paramedics and firefighters were called to render first aid and escort me to the hospital as fast as possible. When I got to the ER I was at that point of passing out, my blood pressure was low, had severe dehydration and little to no energy at all. I was rushed into a room and a stampede of medical professionals became to surround me. Drawing blood, administering IV, checking my pulse; everyone from younger brother to head doctor was in a panic. A few minutes later, everything went pitch black and I was unaware of what the people all around me where doing.
Four days passed and I woke up in the Intensive Care Unit at Children’s Medical Center to a room full of family, friends and medical staff. Some of them were crying, others smiling and others thanking God. Family members from Mexico were in the room, which I found kind of strange because they do not travel much unless it is a special occasion. At that moment I did not realize what had happened. I thought I had been asleep for a few minutes but it turned out that my eyes were closed for 96 hours. Nevertheless, the whole time my eyes were closed, my ears were painting a picture in my head of what was going on. I heard my family crying, friends praying and a Doctor say “He might not make it, prepare yourselves.” I wanted to speak up, move, show a sign that I knew what was going on but my body disagreed with me and wanted the rest.
The Sunday I woke up was Cowboys game day, so I was really elated that I had woken up in time to watch it. My family and I after the emotional reencounter watched the game as a family in the ICU, happy as can be, knowing that we were very blessed sitting there as a family. The game was more meaningful than simply watching two teams fighting over and odd shaped ball. It was family unity in a time of crisis.
My body was still weak after all the blood transfusions, only-liquids diet and blood draws so I remained in the hospital for eight more days. I was finally released after my body was almost 100% recovered and the deadly intruder was completely out of my body. Before leaving the hospital I thanked and shook hands with all the medical professionals for giving me the opportunity to walk out of the hospital and now a few months later to walk on stage and get my diploma. June 5th, I am going to glance over to where my family and friends are sitting and see/hear their illuminating smiles and loud cheers, the moment I walk on stage.

The author's comments:
Live life to the fullest everyday.

Similar Articles


This article has 2 comments.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 12:09 pm
Sana Hamirani BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Definitely very inspirational! :)

Mrs. P said...
on Jun. 19 2011 at 6:57 pm
Your story makes me believe in the impossible!


MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!