A Lesson Well Learned | Teen Ink

A Lesson Well Learned

May 27, 2011
By AlexH87 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
AlexH87 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever had a moment so surreal in your life that you were like "Wow, did that just happen?" Well I experienced such a moment in the summer of August 2006, but before I get to that, first I will tell you the story of how I got Blackie, my adorable chihuahua, who is the star in the event mentioned above.

On June 12, 2006 my siblings and I were riding four wheelers outside my cousin Ana's house, when my parents drove up. My sister, Melissa, and I ran up to the car. As we peered inside, we saw the most adorable little black chihuahua in my mother's arms. Everyone stepped back as my mom got out and set him on the grass and then crowded around him. He looked so precious with his big brown eyes staring out at everyone. He had pointy ears and his fur was a solid black, which is how he attained his name, Blackie.

Two months later, on August 26, 2006, he was no longer a shy puppy on the contrary, he was playful, alert, and a bit aggressive. That sunny afternoon Melissa and I were giving Blackie a bath. Since he wasn't very fond of water, I held him down while Melissa attempted to bathe him despite his squirming. Suddenly we saw my brother as he ran out of the house yelling and waving his arms wildly in the air. Before I could have reacted, Blackie was out of my arms faster than a bullet and in an instant was off barking and racing after my brother. Alberto was so startled; his eyes were wide with confusion and fright, as he started sprinting towards me with Blackie quickly trailing behind. When Alberto reached me, he hopped into my arms, just as Blackie leaped up and bit the butt part of his jeans.

The one event I would have never imagined seeing- other than in a movie- was happening right before my eyes. As I turned in circles trying to hold my brother up and away from the dog, Blackie was in the air refusing to let go of Alberto's pants. It was such a hilarious sight, that I was doubling over in laughter, while struggling to keep my brother upright away from the "vicious" chihuahua. Meanwhile, Melissa was just standing there watching and laughing while I was screaming at her to come help.

Finally Melissa came to the rescue as she ran over and pulled Blackie away. While she was soothing Blackie, I was busy trying to calm my brother's hysterical screams. After he finally calmed down we discovered two tiny bite marks on his right butt cheek. Alberto started freaking out, so Melissa ran inside for a band-aide. I put the band-aide on his tiny wound immediately he stopped crying and ran inside.

When my mom found out what happened, later on that day, she was not too pleased about it. But since Alberto hadn't been seriously hurt she didn't press the matter further. After such a long eventful and exciting day, we now know to never run out wildly in front of Blackie, unless we want to get chased after and attacked by a "vicious" Chihuahua.

The author's comments:
This hilarious event that I lived inspired me to retell my story and share it with others, so that they can have a little laugh as well.