The Special Christmas | Teen Ink

The Special Christmas

May 4, 2011
By Lauren Fields BRONZE, Orange, California
Lauren Fields BRONZE, Orange, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The lingering cool night air kisses David's cheeks to awake him on this winter December morning. Looking out the window he notices that it is a white Christmas once again. The excitement of another Christmas rushes through his veins as his anticipation for his gift makes his feet antsy, wanting to sprint to the living room. He cannot enter the living room. Father had not stoked the fire yet and the living room was off-limits if the fire was not up to par. The four brothers gathered cheerfully to what awaits them. They could feel that this time things would be different.
Mother and Father gave the signal that it was time to come in the living room and open presents. David was always first to enter; he was the youngest. He could feel that this time things would be different. The sense of an unexpected gift was in the air. There were many familiar elements about most Christmases. Fresh powder acted like a blanket on the front yard, the same fire was freshly stoked, and now the same old cardboard shoebox that had David's name scribbled with a black led pen laid in his lap. These shoeboxes were all that the boys owned. No stockings, no bags with tissue, and certainly no other boxes with surprises inside. This single shoebox was more than enough. This shoebox was the greatest gift when close to nothing was what was received all year.
Opening the shoeboxes with such delight David finds what he expects to uncover every year. Inside the box that once contained little school shoes many years ago now composed of an orange, a few hard candies, and if David was lucky a few pieces of peanut brittle. This was the most magnificent gift to him. As the boys were enjoying their gifts, there was one more surprise that caught David off guard. As he turned and looked he could not believe what he saw in front of him. It was a brand new shiny red bike. David's jaw on the floor was accompanied by his extremely widened eyes. He could not wait to jump and ride this new and precious toy. Even though the bike belonged to all of the brothers, David still had this sensation of personal ownership whenever he got to take the bike out for a quick ride.
Being the youngest, David rarely ever got to ride this beloved bike. Even though he rarely had the pleasure of hoping on the fire engine red bicycle, just the fact that one was now in his possession had made this particular Christmas more memorable and tickled him to death. This Christmas recollection was almost 70 years ago but is still fresh in his mind. Hearing this story from the 40s really puts the current time in perspective. My grandpa has taught me that little received can create just as much happiness as many expensive presents.


The author's comments:
My grandfather was recently diagnosed with cancer and at his bedside I began asking questions about his childhood. Being from a very poor family in the South everything that was received was a treasure. Nothing was taken for granted which taught me a valuable lesson.