Roller Coaster | Teen Ink

Roller Coaster

By Kritty BRONZE, Commack, New York
Kritty BRONZE, Commack, New York

I’m sure you’ve all heard the cliché “life is like a roller coaster”. Well, I suppose it is, we all have our ups and downs. But when you think about it, most of the actual ride is going up or going down, not actually at the very top or at absolute zero. Imagine you are on a roller coaster, on your way up the hill. What do you feel? Suspense, excitement, restlessness? Now imagine your roller coaster on its way down. You have that rush for a few seconds, when your stomach does a back-flip and the wind is whipping your face like you stuck it out of a car window. These are the best moments of life in my opinion, whether it’s the slow paced suspension or the fast paced rush.
The great thing about life is that even when we hit rock bottom, we know things have to start getting better because they can’t get any worse. I think that this “roller coaster” life we have is just another way of saying life is balanced, and we keep getting pulled up and down but some greater force. Life should be something that is fun and joyful, as a roller coaster should be as well.
So next time you hear the analogy “life is like a roller coaster”, don’t think of it as ups and downs, think of it as the journey to those high and low points in your life, because when it comes down to it we all are really living for that rush that comes right after the high points and the suspenseful climb back up right after the low points.