Heaven on Earth | Teen Ink

Heaven on Earth

April 29, 2011
By Anonymous

It’s June first; twenty four days… and counting. My adrenaline is pumping and my heart is beating out of my chest. I smile as I kneel to pull my trunk from under my parent’s bed. I eagerly carry the empty trunk to my room. I open my windows and blast my personal favorite, Taylor Swift, from my iHome. I pull out my favorite tee shirts, Nike shorts and plenty of costumes to wear for my four weeks away from home. I am ready to leave, and there are still twenty four days left.
June twenty fifth is finally here. I load my trunk in the car at nine o’clock, ready to leave as soon as possible. After hours of begging, pleading and waiting, we finally leave my house. We begin the drive up the winding, green mountains. After an hour and a half I can tell we are close. We turn off the highway, pass the vast green fields, the two lion statues and finally turn onto Illahee Road. I roll down the windows and smile to myself as I breathe in the cool mountain air.
I squeal and laugh as we get closer and I finally see it. I want to jump out the window as my mom pulls through the gates at what seems like 2 miles per hour. As she stops the car, I spring out and run inside. Unable to contain my excitement I run to the front office and hug every counselor and staff member inside. Before I go to my cabin, I take a quick walk around, smiling the whole time. Even though four weeks is not nearly enough, I am happier than a kid in a candy store because I have arrived at my favorite place in the world, my home away from home, my heaven on earth; Camp Illahee.