Crouching, Sore, Cut | Teen Ink

Crouching, Sore, Cut

March 31, 2011
By Anonymous

Crouching. Sore. Cut. I’m going to sneeze. No, no I’m not going to sneeze. Anything is better than being shot by a plastic BB flying through the air at a speed my eye can’t follow. No, I don’t think so, not today at least.

The tall grass, wait, no it’s not grass, it’s much to tall. Are they trees? No, let’s say it’s tall grass. Imagine, your in tall grass, taller than eight feet. You know someone’s after you, but you also know if you move you’ll regret it. But if they do hear you, you’re only escape is the water. Frankly, you don’t want to be drenched up to your thighs, and to be possibly shot.

Now, of course I’m not going to get shot by a real bullet, but an air-soft BB does hurt. Well, it’s not gentle.

My friend had invited us to his house on Bear Lake for the weekend. It had been only one day at the time, and both my friends had brought their air-soft guns, and so had I. Now, the house was on the beach, so we could see the water, and this big area of some sort of plant, I thought it was tall grass.

My friends and I decided to go to the tall grass and do this game where if you got shot then you were out and someone else on your team had to help you. When this had happened I still hadn’t got shot, not once. So, I was nervous thinking: This might be the day I get shot. Okay I admit, it sounds way worse when I say I’m going to get shot today, but you get the picture.

Anyway, I was running through the grass and on the way I got cut, multiple times. I found a good spot where it was easy to crouch down and wouldn’t be seen. So I’m sitting there for what felt like forever and hear someone walking past (when I say past I mean inches away). I hear the gun cock and I closed my eyes. Time seemed to slow down, and it seemed I was hypersensitive to everything, the smell of the tall, green grass, the sound of shoes on the ground, sinking into the damp mud. Then I heard the spring release and...pop! “ow!” It wasn’t me, I was fine. Turns out someone was hiding near me and they got shot. So there I was: crouching, sore, and cut.

I learned from this that you probably shouldn’t close your eyes when something’s about to happen. I know it’s a lame moral story, but there it is.