Just A Memory | Teen Ink

Just A Memory

By Erin Pippin BRONZE, Hardyville, Kentucky
Erin Pippin BRONZE, Hardyville, Kentucky

April 24th, 2006, this day will haunt me for the rest of my life. It’s the day I lost the best, most loving uncle in the whole wide world. He was diagnosed with cancer, Leukemia to be exact, on April 1st, 2005. Right away, he started taking treatments. Over the months I watched as my favorite uncle slowly disappeared. He was put into the University of Louisville Hospital once he got really sick. At least three nights every week, I would go visit him. I hated to look at him, I know its mean but it’s true. He looked awful, with no hair and skin so pale. Looking at him made me cry. One time he got so sick, they put him into a room and only people over eighteen were allowed in. I and my cousin, Elijah, stayed out in the hall, only getting to see him through the glass door. We colored pictures for him and my papaw would take them in the room to show him. He would look at them, smile, and look at us through the door.
On April 24th, 2006, I was at school and in third grade. The class and I were outside for break when my mamaw came to pick up my three cousins, Jake, Nick, and Seth, and me. I knew why she was here, I knew because my mom had told me the night before. She was here because my aunt had the ventilators shut off on my uncle so he wouldn’t suffer anymore. I stayed strong for my three cousins, especially my cousin Seth because Seth is my Uncle Kevin’s oldest son. Uncle Kevin died a day before Seth’s birthday. We arrived at my aunt’s house and Seth asked, “Why are there so many cars in my driveway.” My mamaw replied, “I’ll let your mom explain.”
I could hear the sadness in her voice. We walked in the house and everybody had tissues, wiping their watery eyes and snotty noses. My mom was there and I ran to her and started balling my eyes out. Elijah, Dude is his nickname, asked his mom, “Where did my daddy go?”
She replied, “He’s gone, gone to a better place.” “But why? Why can’t we go to a castle far away and get magic potion and bring him back?” “Because Honey, because.” That made me cry even harder.
As a result of his death my uncle’s funeral and visitation was that week. I was stunned by how fast everything had gone. Two years before, my uncle and I were laughing and having the time of our lives. At his funeral, I stood at his casket asking him, “Who’s going to be the one to go to the river with me? Or the creek? Who’s gonna cheer me up when I’m down?” I couldn’t believe he was gone; gone, forever. We had so much fun together. We went on vacation together. We went to the ocean together, searching for beautiful sea shells and shark teeth. We walked in the creek and river together. Rode rides at the amusement parks and fairs together. I didn’t want him to leave me. I loved him too much for him to go. He was such a great and nice person.
Still to this day, it feels like a part of my soul has gone. I miss his smile and his cheerful voice. It’s been five years now, and I’m starting to forget my wonderful uncle. I can’t remember what he looked like, what he sounded like. It tears me apart because basically the only memory I have is his funeral, pictures, and videos. Sometimes I look at pictures and watch videos just to see and hear him. I am so grateful to have all the videos and pictures but I would trade all of it for him, my uncle.