Walk On Water

During the summer of 1955, I was living in Indianapolis, Indiana. I sold ice cream in a negro neighborhood on Prospect street.

One day some boys I knew called me over "Hey! Mr.Brooks, Mr.Brooks come here!"
"Mr.Brooks" they asked "Do you know that baptist preacher that lives down the road?"

"No.." I said.
"Well" they said "He preached a sermon on Sunday about walking on water like Peter he said he was going to walk on water, in that irrigation canal, this Sunday!"
"But we know what he did he built a scaffold right under the water! Were going to fix that preacher real good!"
Next week the boys could barely tell me what happened because they were laughing so hard. On Sunday morning the baptist preacher gathered his congregation on the banks of the irrigation canal, it was only a few feet wide but it was about eight feet deep.
"By my faith" Cried the preacher"I will walk on this water."
The night before the boys had removed the scaffold from the canal. So when that preacher stepped out on the water he almost drowned! I still laugh thinking about it today.....

owlette said...
this is my  own piece and I hate reading it it's so silly to me.and where I put quotation marks it says quote

owlette replied...
i meant qout