To live life. | Teen Ink

To live life.

By AleighaK BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
AleighaK BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

People look at me and see everything I could be. They see me living the American dream

with an extravagant house, luxury car, ideal family, and six-figure salary. They see this and are amazed by the incredible “potential” that lies within me and beg me to harvest it. They haven’t got a clue that they are looking at my biggest fear.
I don’t want to be this person.

The only thing I want to be is happy. .

I want to see this world and experience it - to take in all its joy and sorrow. I want to wake up in a different country every week. I want to hear the stories of its people. I want to tell stories that people want to hear. I want to write stories. I want to write poetry. I want to write well, and be well. I want to move people and show them that sometimes it’s better to just leave the mountains where they are. I want to climb mountains, and see the entire earth spread out before me. Maybe then I’ll find my place in it. I want to love deeply. I want to laugh often. I want to learn all the lessons that this world has to teach me. I want to live life.

I had to write this for my AP Lang class. We were supposed to write about a common misconception people have about us and I wrote about my desire to live a less conventional life than most people would expect.