When I was Young

The soft breeze brushed against my face. I felt the wind travel between each pigtail and the cool surface of the handle bars gently grasped by my tiny fingers. I closed my eyes, using the rest of my senses to focus. I had done this a thousand times. I knew every pebble, every string of grass that possibly existed on the sidewalk. I could navigate through it with my eyes closed, easily. I took in a deep breath, filling my lungs with the deliciously cool air and slowly opened my eyes. Today was a new day, a beautiful day. I gazed upon the scenery of my culdesac. I looked at the pale blue or cream houses with brick front porches. I took in the site of majestic oak trees that I loved to climb. I gazed upon my own backyard which entailed a few acres of wooden forest and a swing set right in the middle. I thought about those things for a few brief moments before I returned from that world of dream-like memories to the world I rode on. I peddled to the end of the culdesac, passing dogs while my wheels crunched on bright orange and yellow leaves. My mom would call me back inside in a few minutes to the warmth of my house, cookies, and Saturday morning cartoons. Everything was simple then; everything was good.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm:
i really likie it, i just think because its such a good topic it could be a bit longer but other than that its really good! :)

Vicky11 said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 6:47 am:
Its like I was there :-)

WishfulDoer said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm:
The only mistake I could find was culdesac, I don't think it's one word. Other than that, I love it!

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:04 pm:
Great memoir!  I can understand you long for your child-like years.

ChelzRulz replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm :
I love your description!  I like how you put one beautiful image into one short memory.  :)