The Wedding | Teen Ink

The Wedding

January 18, 2011
By rozell BRONZE, Somerset, Wisconsin
rozell BRONZE, Somerset, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The morning of my brother’s wedding, I was nervous. This is the closest thing to a date that I have ever been on; although, I was not positive if he considered it a date or not. To be quite honest, I was not even sure if he felt that way about me. We had spent every day together for the past week or two, but he never made any obvious signs that he was interested. We did hold hands once though.
“Umm… can I hold your hand? I’m scared of the dark,” I asked him that night, walking through the cornfield. That was one hundred percent the truth on my part. I am quite scared of the dark, but part of me also just wanted to hold his hand.
“Yea, don’t worry. You’ll be fine, I’m right here,” he said quietly as he held his hand out to me. We walked like this for a few minutes until he stopped, sat down and pulled me down next to him, holding my hand the whole time. At the time, I wasn’t sure if he was holding it only for my benefit or if he wanted to hold it for other reasons.
Other than that night, he never showed any obvious signs. Nothing yelled out, “I like you!” to me. So when I picked him up, I acted as though nothing was different than any other day. He got in the car and gave me his usual smile. As we made our way back to my house, we talked about random things that made me laugh. That is what he is best at, getting me to smile or laugh. When I am with him, I am always smiling. He usually is, too.
When we got home, my grandma was sitting at the table. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was that she didn’t have her teeth in. I instantly turned red with embarrassment. I hoped nobody noticed my blushing because they would want a reason why I was embarrassed. After I decided that nobody noticed, I chose to start getting ready. I gave Kyle the option to watch TV or play video games but he said he would rather watch me get ready. That made me more nervous.
As I slowly got ready, Kyle watched me nearly the entire time. After a few hours of intense hair curling and applying make-up, I finally finished. At that point, I needed to change into my dress. I excused myself to the back room and changed into the knee-length navy blue dress. When I walked out after I was dressed and ready, Kyle gave me a completely different look than he had ever given me. At the time, I wasn’t sure if it was a good look or not. It was a look similar to a look of confusion. But at the same time, he smiled, making me believe it was a good look.
As I drove to the heritage center for the wedding pictures, I noticed Kyle stealing glances at me. This made me incredibly nervous and happy at the same time. I was nervous because I didn’t know for sure why he was looking at me but I was happy because he looked happy to be there. We arrived at the heritage center and got out of the car. It was cold; the wind nipping at us did not help either. I made my way to his side of the car and asked if he was ready to go. He answered by gently intertwining his fingers between mine and walking towards the group of people. Never in my life had I felt so much excitement and nervousness before.
Kyle patiently watched as the pictures and typical pre-wedding procedures were going on, smiling every time I glanced over to catch a glimpse of him. The ceremony was outside and I was shaking and Kyle could feel it. He carefully put his arms around me to keep me warm, causing a massive amount of butterflies in my stomach. He held me like that until we left for the reception.
Sitting at the table during the reception, Kyle reached for my hand and held it in his lap. “You look amazing…” Kyle said sweetly to me. Of course, I smiled and felt happier than ever before.
Later that night, after bringing him home, we sat in his kitchen. We joked around and talked about the day, about how much fun we both had. He told me how he loved spending time with me and I told him I felt the same about being with him. And just like that, we were kissing.

The author's comments:
The type of piece I selected to submit was non-fiction and this would be considered a creative non-fiction memoir. It tells a story about how my boyfriend and I began our relationship and shows my emotions throughout the experience. I have multiple pieces of writing but I have not published any other work beside this.