what i keep and why i keep it..... | Teen Ink

what i keep and why i keep it.....

January 10, 2011
By jaineba BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
jaineba BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
sit like a turtle, walk like a pigeon and sleep like a dog.

Life is fun.
let your mind flow like water, reflect like glass and respond like an echo


List of my various items.</span>

A silver gift box, containing 12 beads and a length of fishing wire.

36 business cards

2 old hair brushes

1 comb

Hair band

20 beads

Nail polish remover

A necklace made of seeds

A phone from the 90’s

A Red Tea candle

A big roll of making tape

Pieces of paper, with many “important” numbers

28 rubber bands

A beautifully varnished wood of tan complexion, sits in the corner of my mother’s room. I never noticed it that much until I was given this assignment, before it was just another piece of furniture in a house, but the contents of the draw told a completely different story. The contents of this draw were just items my family and I just didn’t have the heart to throw away and were just lazy enough not to care what happen them so just threw some place and this draw just happened to be that place . As I sorted through the draw memories which I thought had been forever lost in the abyss of my mind had resurrected themselves and forced me to remember when I was small and lost in a world much bigger than I was. If a stranger were ever to open the draw and decide to rummage through my “precious items” they would think I was a person living in the past, afraid to let go and move on into the future, or they might think I was a hoarder of some kind.

The first item on my list of various random items is a silver gift box, containing twelve beads and a length of fishing wire. The reason I kept the silver box, was because I needed a container in which to keep my twelve beads and my fishing wire, the reason I kept the beads was a small hope that I would one day repair the bracelet along with the help of the fishing wire. I would then wear it proudly, as I was the one who put it back together. As you can guess I never got to repair my bracelet nor ever wear it proudly as I soon forgot about the bracelet and the small bit of hope vanished which made want to repair it. The thirty-six various business cards belonged to my father. He is the biggest procrastinator, always accepting business cards, saying this certain business person held the key to his future , but never actually called one of the thirty-six business people, but instead discarded the cards in the draw . For my grooming purposes two brushes, which are now old and covered in white fuzz, accompanied by one comb that was used to comb tangles out of my monstrously unruly hair in a heroic try to tame the frizzy beast, along with my grooming tools was my hair band from third grade which I had strange attachment to. I refused to go to school without it on my fuzzy head, but as I went up a few grades and became “cooler” I soon grew apart from my hair band, and it was thrown into the draw to familiarize itself with the other objects which were disowned by their masters. Once again more beads, twenty beads to be exact, given to me by an ex-best friend for a birthday present, which brought back my fascination for the small wrist decorations. For this item I have no particular reason for keeping this but the sheer laziness of forgetting to throw it away or that my sub-conscious is making me keep it as a small tribute to my child hood and an old best friend, because when I tried to throw it away I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

A half bottle of old nail polish remover which was used to remove my feminine touch of purple nail polish which was very untidily done on my toes. The next item on my list put an ear-to-ear smile on my face as I thought of who would take seeds and turn them into a necklace. The necklace was a gift to my father from one of his more eccentric Rastafarian friends who made it for him to bring a good “vibe” to the family. My father the nice man he is took it with a warm smile and in exchange he gave a polite “thank you”. The necklace was adorned with a variety of rare seeds of odd shapes and I am yet to feel the “vibe” which the man mentioned. The oldest item in the draw is my father’s phone from the nineties. He was so excited I was told to get the phone that he would just take it out of his pocket to look at it, smile and return it back to his pocket. Now he just takes it out of the draw and throws it aside when looking for something of more importance. The ancient phone is now gathering dust and is unresponsive. I found a single red tea candle, and I still have not a clue who the candle belongs to and the mystery of this one red candle has still yet to be solved. The roll of tape was often used by my brother who used to catch lizards and hold them hostage, using the tape to close their small scaly mouths. This roll of tape I think holds some significance for him, as some remembrance from his boyhood of mischievous fun. The most abundant thing in the draw was various pieces of papers of every color and type scribbled with phone numbers with little jottings next to them. Old numbers, new numbers, and numbers of people we never dared to call because we forgot their names as a name wasn’t written beside the number. None of us even thought for one second to throw one out because we all thought there maybe some small chance that one day we may actually be in dire need of one of those numbers. Until then none have been thrown away from the cluster. The last item on the list is twenty-eight rubber bands of all sizes and colors which could be used for so many things but instead lay helpless at the bottom of the draw. If I could recall properly in the back of my mind I was saving these many rubber bands to make the world’s largest rubber band ball and finally be in the Guinness world record book but that never happened.

After cleaning through my draw I realized I really was somewhat of a hoarder, but one who loves to reminisce on my past and on my family. I use these trinkets to mentally bring me back in time, when I was a kid and life hadn’t begun to confuse me and constrict my brain, when I remembered to cherish small things in life, like laying on my back and watching the clouds glide by on a cool summer day or when I wanted to make the world’s largest rubber band ball with 28 rubber bands or just hugging my mom for no apparent reason only to say I love you and when life was no worries and all fun.