So I March... | Teen Ink

So I March...

December 13, 2010
By Kevin Hicks BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Kevin Hicks BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I drag myself to school I think of the songs that will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. When I arrive, I am greeted by an empty hallway and a locker room that is just as empty. So I march…

When I get to the field the director is in a good mood, for now. So I warm up as best I can, hindered by the lack of sunlight in the early morning. So I march…

When we finally begin to practice, I am suddenly awakened by the melodious tunes ringing in the morning air. The lively tempos help wake up those few kids still inattentive in the early hours. As part one comes to a close I am well awake. So I march…

As the dancers make their way onto the field I am appreciative of the short break. Their colorful flags blowing in the wind as they frantically find their spots for the show. But the break is short. So I march…

Part two has begun and the slower melodies give a sense of calm feeling to the sometimes wild group of high school students. But as the morning goes on, the director looses his patience slowly. So I march…

As the sun breaks the horizon, the field is suddenly warmed just in time for part three. Once again the tempos speed up causing some of the kids to lose their spots. As the straggling students quickly try to catch up, the director loses more patience and is on the verge of snapping. So I march…

We manage to get through the whole show. So we start from the beginning cleaning up any parts of the show that are sub-par. The thought of running the entire show over again makes my spine cringe. But I do it showing as little frustration as possible. So I march…

As the morning rehearsal is over, the group is quiet lighthearted. The bond we have developed is nothing short of a family. This is one of the things that make the long, early, rehearsals worth it. So I march.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece as an assignment for my AP English class and my peers loved it, so I decided to enter it in a contest.