"No One's Gonna Die!" | Teen Ink

"No One's Gonna Die!"

By Maddie Schwinn BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
Maddie Schwinn BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

My pulse was uncontrollable, my body started to fume and a puddle started to form at my feet. I screeched at my dad and grandpa to stop as my eyes caught onto the wonder that was happening before me.
“Guys let’s go!” hollered someone from a boat.
“I’m coming, I’m coming I just can’t figure out how to work this dang thing.” replied the guy on the Jet Ski.
“Ehhh don’t worry about it. No one’s gonna die.”
We were almost at the dock when I turned around to admire the last sunset I would see in Cotuit, MA until August when I saw the men. They were frolicking around with their boat and Jet Ski, racing promptly one minute than chuckling and just cruising around the bay the other. They looked a tad deranged and you could tell that the man on the Jet Ski didn’t know how to use it. I turned back around just giggling in my head to see how much closer we had gotten. When I looked back I eyed them racing again. First the Jet Ski would dash forward, and then the motorboat would follow but to have the Jet Ski stop quickly in front of the boat.
They did this a couple times, and when they did it again it became MUCH faster. This time it was plenty different. The Jet Ski shot forward then stopped too violently and shot a huge wave into the air. I watched from astonished eyes as the boat flew into midair with the passengers still aboard and flailing their arms to try not to plunge. You couldn’t see the Jet Ski or jet-skier, which made my nerves go crazy. The waves beheld like a tsunami as I watched. The boat straddled off the water and tipped leaving them no choice but to fall off and dive into the warm salty water on Cotuit Bay. The boat bounced on the water until it just lay there waiting for someone to stop it form going in circles. The motorboat’s wheel was turned all the way to the left with no one in it so it was just going in circles in the same place. The water was still as could be besides the thud of the giant boat slamming against the water and powerful engine running out of control.
The heads started popping up violently with stares of astonishment and disbelief plastered on to their face. I realized there were two men on the boat and one on the Jet Ski who was bald and I hadn’t seen him since the wave covered him. Suddenly his body popped up, face turned down, with a bowl of blood to follow. The two other men started swimming as quick as they could until they got to the spot to their unconscious friend. They brought him aboard the Jet Ski that was badly damaged and started to cry for help. That was the first moment when I actually started working my brain again;
“Dad, Grandpa, look at them, we have to help NOW,” I screamed as light tears dripped down my face.
We got the boat over to the Jet Ski as early as we could and tried to aid them on board to our boat. We lassoed a rope to the unconscious swimmers body and carefully towed him over to the entrance of the boat. We unhooked him and my dad brought him on to the ground with the carpet to make him more comfortable even though he was still not awake. We didn’t move him a lot either because we didn’t know if anything was broken. The other two guys were trying to get everything in place to get the boat to stop which was not the cleverest idea ever. We kept yelling at them to stop but they didn’t listen to us at all. They were going to hurt themselves if they kept trying so we kept telling them to please stop, as my Grandpa was getting very worried. We didn’t want to aid for another person.
“Here! We’re coming to help you; we have a smaller boat so it won’t take as long to get to the dock and the hospital.” Screamed a volunteer fireman from a different boat.
As we were making the move over, the guy who helping us (happened to be a volunteer fireman), couldn’t start his boat. He tried and tried for about 2 or 3 minutes but it just wouldn’t start. We then had to transport him again to another boat. This boat worked. As soon as that boat left with the man and one friend on board, the other guy started to get the Jet Ski to work again so he could stop the other boat that was going around in circles all this time.
“Stop! You’re going to hurt yourself you crazy nut head!” screamed my grandpa.
My grandpa is a very protective guy so when it came to this he didn’t want the poor man to get hurt after what he had just witnessed which also happened by doing something unbalanced. Finally the Coast Guard arrived with the right materials to stop the boat from going around in circles. They tried to hook under it with a rope a couple times but that didn’t work so they tried another tactic; jumping on. They brought one boat very close to the other and as the back was facing away, they hoped on. The Coast Guard landed steadily and turned off the boat! Everyone was cheering for him and a giant smile started to form on his face. He knew he had just about saved another life.
Later on me learned that the guy that was on the Jet Ski had passed away from such serious head injuries. There was internal bleeding and he never regained consciousness from the water. The person that was driving the boat was his boss at work and they were just taking a day off.

* * * *
‘Maddie, you can do this. Don’t be afraid; it’s a totally different situation and they have been doing this since they were old enough. Don’t sike yourself out!’
“Come on guys, we have to swim out to the boat in order to go on.” Hollered my dad already in the water.
‘Can I do this? How about I just suck it up and go! There are not going to crash, OK!? Get yourself out of this phase now.’
“I’m coming!” I answered wearily.
The waves rushed against me as I pushed against the current to get my self to the boat. As soon as I reached the ladder, my stomach got a bit queasy. I slid my hand over the cold railing and tried to hoist myself up. I made it up to the floor slowly but surely. I knew I only had to be on the boat fro a short amount of time but the thought of it still brings terror into my mind. ‘Just get on the boat and then into the air and you will be fine,’ I thought. I climbed up the stairs and onto the parachute seat. I sat down, shaking, replaying that day in my mind. As soon as I floated into the air, my worry flowed down into the ocean below. I realized that being afraid was only going to make my life worse. That day I made a law or pact with myself; whenever I become scared of something, I have to do it again. This way I realize that there are always two different outcomes; the good and the bad. I just had happened to experience the worst of those. But guess what, I also experienced the good.

1 article 0 photos 1 comment
alright ryan

R.E.B BRONZE said...
R.E.B BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It was deliscous.

-Ryan Brown