My Cat Named Rufe | Teen Ink

My Cat Named Rufe

December 16, 2010
By loveusall GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas
loveusall GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is free."


Looking back I think of all the fun times I had with my not so smart cat. But he was one of the softest and most entertaining cats and one of the onerous I’ve ever known. I remember all the fun we had together and all the times he made me laugh and all the times we snuggled up together. I remember when we brought him home over 3 years ago…
A family friend found him on his front steppe early one morning on his way to work. And knowing his wife wouldn’t let him have another cat no matter how cute and tinny he was he put him in his pocket and toke him to work with him where he showed him to my dad and my dad knew I wanted a cat for as long as I can remember, brought him home for me. He was so tiny. I was 14 at the time and I could hold him in one hand.
Not long after we brought him home we almost lost him. He was only about 6 weeks old at the time. He got into a bundle of wires in my room and bit into one thinking it was a toy or something. I come home and open my door just after he bit into it. Crying I scope him up fearing he’s not going to make it and go running out into our garage right as my dad pulls in. All I can do is hold him to me and cry hoping my dad gets the message and get him to the vet in time. We jump in the car and rush to the vet, glad there not that far form our house. The vet saves his life. They had to put an oxygen mask on him. It was bigger then his whole body was.
Just a few months later we had to take him back up to the vet to get him neutered and decaled. That didn’t go as planed either. My silly cat was allergic to the medicine they used to put him under so they could operate on him without him feeling any of it or him moving. So after all that we also found out that the glue they use to keep he from bleeding out wouldn’t stick well enough for as hyper as he was so we had to lock him in a tiny carrier for the next few weeks so that he could heal and not get blood all over the place. He was not happy about that what so ever.