Where I Stand | Teen Ink

Where I Stand

By magicalseth BRONZE, Daytona Beach, Florida
magicalseth BRONZE, Daytona Beach, Florida

I have always battled for the pleasure of knowing I am not a conformist, that I am not going to be part of some already homogeneous mixture of society, and that I have individuality. However, the trick is to separate myself in some way different from others (or else I’m just like all the other nonconformists.) Finding my apparent niche took me quite awhile, but I have found what separates me from others and shields me from having to “stand the lock-step.” I am a hardcore knowledge seeker, and I will go to the greatest lengths for even the most trivial of answers. I must banish all ignorance possible. As opposed to nearly all of my high school peers, learning remains my most vivid passion in life.
Nothing surpasses the feeling of obtaining a shiny new factoid or a philosophical concept over which to ruminate. One spectacular experience in which I have had the joy of participating has increased the mirth I find in gathering trivia immensely. Academic team must be the most fun activity I have ever lived through. The announcer, with a stentorian, mind-pulsating tone, slowly calls out, "For ten points, what is the capital city of the West African country, Burkina Faso?" Invigoration blankets my body when I think how I know this capital city, and with a quick chuckle to myself, I share this humorous city's name with the audience, "Ouagadougou!" Only a modicum amount of all the people I have ever met seems to enjoy this experience as much as I do. I find this as one of the most enjoyable engagements of my entire life, and this is what separates me from the rest of my peers- a desire of endless and extensively vast knowledge.
But what would I like to change about myself? What is it that really gets to me? I am late to arrive quite often, and I yearn to change this about myself. I am improving inch by inch, every day, and I will have definitely succeeded within a short measure of time. I will eventually fully defenestrate my dilatory behavior, and improve my lifestyle dramatically. At the beginning of this year, I was a younger man only just more than half way completed with my junior year in high school, and I was late just about everywhere (aside from my classes at school): My weekly study sessions, cross country practice, and even my tardiness support group meetings. As the months have rolled along I’ve greatly allayed this issue in my life and continue to fight diligently to cease this negative trait of mine. Now, I arrive on time to nearly all of my obligations- aside from my tardiness support meetings. To be serious though, I truly have improved this issue in my life and plan to do nothing but complete the task of being someone who is always punctual.
I truly love myself and, possibly by coincidence, what I love about myself the most is what distinguishes me from most- my love for knowledge. I would never change this individualistic quality about myself; I will always love knowledge past any imaginable possibilities. However, I will change my tardiness trends, and this assertion remains without a doubt. Maybe I can even use my love for knowledge to somehow help me accomplish this task. Regardless, I will fight to become a better person and will always appreciate what withholds me from walking in lockstep with the rest of society.